Montec blood trail

crappyice

My friend killed two doe this season with 100 grain montecs. Both deer died within 100 yards and the shots were pass-throughs clipping the heart on both shots and exiting a bit low due to the steep angle of the shots. While both deer were recovered, the blood trail was extremely little with blood just pooling in the cavity for both deer. Do other montecs users experience the same results?

A few years back I switched to the Montec G5 fixed broadheads. I liked the idea of one piece of metal that could easily be sharpened. I shot 2 different does that year hitting both of them perfectly behind the front shoulder. My dad and I found very little blood in both occurances and unfortinatley lost both deer only to find them both dead in the winter. Their was no snow on the ground at the time so tracking was difficult especially with very very little blood. Both deer did go 100 yards which I thought was far for the shot placement. I immediately switched to the rage and except for the price I very happy. The blood trail is easily identified even for a color blind guy like me. Hope this helps!

Nope, I shoot the 125 grain, which are the same cut as the 100s, and I had a great blood trail with my doe. Only went 60 yards, and didnt need to follow the trail, but there was a good one there.

IMO, unless you videoed the shots, if you didnt find the deer, you dont really know where you really hit it, so commenting on shot placement of an unrecovered deer usually isnt very accurate info.

• Like 1

I use cs 100, if you exit out the guts (quartering toward) I've had the hole plugged which made for pin drop blood trail recoveries like I did earlier this year on the spike (200+yds).

The doe I got last year in archery was double lung, she hardly noticed and barely trotted 40 yds before fell, not a huge trail because the blood just turned into a ball of foam on her chest.

I think the key is the exit hole, if its low you get blood, if its midway up the deer or higher most of the blood stays in.

Blood trail is only part of recovery though, if they drop inside 100yds concentric circled could be enough.

Edited by 7J Everyday