muzzleloading question??

boo711

got a question. could be a stupid one. went up northvyesterday to hunt my brothers property. dont have a rifle, or slugs for shotgun yet so took my muzzleloader to use for first time. when i shot it last after it was sighted in, i gave it a good cleaning then put bore butter in barrel. when i got done hunting yesterday i took my primer out. when i unscrewed my breech pluga capsule of powder was stuck to it because it pushed bore butter down barrel when loading the gun.

so my question is will that bore butter prevent the powder from igniting during a shot??

actually throw the bore butter away. More and more people are having problems with bore butter. It will hold moisture between the barrel and the butter, causing rust. Use a good gun oil after you clean. Then store your gun barrel down stock up to keep al the oil fro going into the breech plug. Still wipe with a patch before loading. I also snap a cap or two just to be sure the bore is dry.

got a question. could be a stupid one. went up northvyesterday to hunt my brothers property. dont have a rifle, or slugs for shotgun yet so took my muzzleloader to use for first time. when i shot it last after it was sighted in, i gave it a good cleaning then put bore butter in barrel. when i got done hunting yesterday i took my primer out. when i unscrewed my breech pluga capsule of powder was stuck to it because it pushed bore butter down barrel when loading the gun.

so my question is will that bore butter prevent the powder from igniting during a shot??

yes it could sounds like to much butter

actually throw the bore butter away. More and more people are having problems with bore butter. It will hold moisture between the barrel and the butter, causing rust. Use a good gun oil after you clean. Then store your gun barrel down stock up to keep al the oil fro going into the breech plug. Still wipe with a patch before loading. I also snap a cap or two just to be sure the bore is dry.

You could be right on that . After a period of storage ,I run a few dry patches and find rust on the patches. I use bore butter but now its going in the trash and i'll use only gun oil. I'm cleaning my guns now and we'll see what's there in a few weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

i'd think it would effect the powder ignition. sounds like you're using a lot of it... only need a thin coating of it in the bore. i run a wet and dry patch down through before loading. it's not like the old days where bore butter was used for lube between the bore and the buffer patch over a ball. you want to bore dry and clean before each shot.