Deer scents / lures - What do you use? What works in NY for you?

burmjohn

Any Trappers out there?

Animals nose is one of there best senses. Having a trapping back round I know what certain scents and there PROPER USE can do for you. You can bet your bottom dollar that if USED PROPERLY it will draw in deer (bucks) for you. If a deer comes in then spooks my  guess is you weren't careful and the deer scented you. Using lures doesn't allow you to be sloppy, you still must do your scouting and being as scent free as possibe is a good idea. Remember the wind and thermals when placing your lure. If the deer is coming from behind you and the lure is in front of you guess what he's liable to see or smell you first. What do I use? Doe in Heat. What brand? I've used many of them. What works for me? I use tinks most of the time only because it is most available. I heard that the base for most of these doe in heat lures is cow urine and that there are not enough farm deer to provide enough doe in heat urine (which is a very short period of time the does are in heat) for which they sell in the usa.

Any way you non trappers talk to a trapper and see how he makes a living foolling wily coyote.

Yes home brew "hot doe estrous" and a curiosity scent. Don't know how he gets it....don't care, it works.

First year I ever dealt with him.

He probably is cooking up tarsal gland stew from butchered deer,straining it and concentrating the liquid. I have used it and it sure stinks! Whether or not it works, I do not know.

• 4 months later...

http://kishelscents.com/

- This guy is from ny -never had a problem, and he's even returned emails. I've used his products for five years plus. I've used it all too. But, now through trial and error I use the mock scrape, goldenrod, and normal doe urine for cover.  When a big "for sure" CHARLIE ALSHEIMER RUT comes I buy the doe in heat. I'm not putting down his other products at all. Those three work best with my style.  This outfit incorporates science and common sense.

I'm way too skeptical of the prepackaged, box store doe urine.  I just think research has proven it breaks down long before it ever hits the woods.  Does anyone else think that an educated older deer has prob smelled tinks before.  To their noses it would not surprise me that they can tell the difference, and it might spook some. 

I am curious about the synthetics, like pimos truth serum.  Anyone used that?  I didn't even see it marketed this yr, so maybe its a flop too.

I am pretty convinced. All these scents scare off more deer than they attract. When a deer smells a foreign scent they have not smelled before, they automatically go on DEFCON4 ALERT. With every Tom, Dick, Harry & Jane spreading every brand of deer pee through the woods every October. I know what the deer are thinking - HUNTERS! 

Stay clean and as scent free as possible and keep the wind in your teeth.

P.S. I could not sleep at night spending 30 to 50 dollars a bottle for piss. Or even 5 dollars for that matter.

He still never said  how they bottle it.

How many of you are still using scents?

I barley used any this year.had a bottle of tinks 69 but only used it a couple of times.I tried the stealth as possible method this year and saw more deer than usual just by beign scent free and quiet.Only grunting when i saw a deer far away to draw them in.

Real easy test -set up your trail cam, and actually test the scents. Especially, during the rut and hunting seasons, just don't hunt where you're testing.  Stay away from estrous scents unless the rut is on strong.  Strong rut equals you witnessing the rut -chase period, first hand.

Remember - personal hygiene and oral hygiene are huge in regards to smell.

Dial Soap, mouthwash/brushing, and regular trips to the dentist are more valuable then any scent.

And of course wind.