What is tougher?

dirt_a_KISS

For the past two days i wonder what would be tougher to harvest a deer on opening day or the days that follow till the close. I herd many times people see nothing after opening day weekend only on opening weekend. I also herd that people harvest deer after opening weekend especially the big bucks and there are people who see deer all the time. Personally i would just like to hear some views on that, because after hearing what i herd these past 2 days it makes me nervous?!!!

Edited by dirt_a_KISS

Depends on the pressure. In some places i hunt i wont get the big boys on camera again until next bow season and on others they'll be back in a week or so. If you can offer a sanctuary and hunt really carefully using the wind and not doing drives and tromping around it'll help. My #1 goal for a hunt is to get in and out without deer ever knowing i was there. Also- it ain't over 'til it's over.

deer science is the way the whitetail live.Everything they do within survival.That is the things you have to study to become a better hunter.Their patterns,eating habbits,travel patterns,breeding phases.All this can be changed by pressure and if little pressure you can more likely get closer to a kill by studying them.

Change your timeframes. Try sitting through the midday hours. Sometimes deer get kicked to you when hunters leave the woods for lunch. Also, I've noticed that after the first week, pressure tends to drop off. I took my deer late in the season last year. It wasn't big, but, nonetheless, my persistence paid off.

I know where i am, just like alot of people, the pressure of the first week really drives the deer in to a nocturnal pattern. Late rifle and muzzleloader can be real good though IMO, plus a little less people in the woods.. Especially if you have a good food source in December the deer should be close by,just got to be patient.

I think its different depending on pressure. When we had our spot in the southern tier hunting pressure was there but you did see deer during the season.

I now hunt the swamps (stateland) and its a totally different kind of hunting. These deer see people and are pressure all the time. Duck,goose,rabbit,pheasent, bow, gun season all in the same area by lots of hunters. Not to mention the bird dog field trails and such.They are a well educated herd and turn nocturnal really quick.

It turns into a ghost town awefully quick.

Things get better once its colder as the diehard hunters are only out.

Opening day and or the weekend after thanksgiving are when the most hunters are in the woods,opening week if the people can afford rooms and eating out.I have hunted State land for many years,many hunters then before the economy took a dump.We hunted deep in the woods and always got or saw deer.Hunted private land 200 - 300 acre farms. Again hunters all round the area,same as state land saw and got our deer.People walking around in areas near you can be a good thing.

depends how you hunt if you spend the time in the woods you will see and get deer no matter what. i hunt from sun up to sun down when i am afforded the time mostly on the weekends and i unt only statelands.see deewr most outings just need to be deepr or near escape routes ect and use the parttimers to my advantage when they go out for lunch i fill my tags.