Missed a doe!!!

HuntOrBeHunted

Man guys and gals i've been hunting my but off all year just to see a buck to far away from shotgun range.

And then today after sitting all day I finally seen 2 doe come out now ofcourse there literally 200+ yards away so I stalk them all the way up to about 100 were I thought my shot would be fine.

Well guess what I was wrong... I aim down threw my scope I see the doe and BOOM...

She jumps into the bushes and off she went un touched. Now it's really a disappointment to me. And i'm by far a quiter and I know I still have some time left its just one of those things.

Didnt mean to sound like any type of way, just figured i'd vent to a bunch of fellow hunters.. UUUhhhhhhhh...

Better than me. I see a buttload of signs like I've never seen before, and only run into one deer today that hightailed out of there only for me to see a flag bouncing away.

Worst part is, I don't know how old the rubs and scrapes are, for all I know, all the bucks have been taken already.

Are you sure she was untouched? I've shot deer, with snow on the ground, that took off like they weren't hit, no hair or blood in the snow only to be found dead 100 yds. away' So you need to follow up as much as you can.

Second, you said you looked through the scope seen the deer and shot. You need to put that crosshair on the hairs you want to hit!.

In know it's frustrating but this the fun of the chase! lol

Better than me. I see a buttload of signs like I've never seen before, and only run into one deer today that hightailed out of there only for me to see a flag bouncing away.

Worst part is, I don't know how old the rubs and scrapes are, for all I know, all the bucks have been taken already.

If you check the rubs you can tell if they are fresh if the spot where the bark is rubbed off hasn't oxidized yet. If you go back tommorow and their a little more brown and not as bright white they were fresh. If its still alive in and the area the buck would have made more that you will be able to tell thye are fresh compared to the ones that you have seen already as a litmus test

Are you sure she was untouched? I've shot deer, with snow on the ground, that took off like they weren't hit, no hair or blood in the snow only to be found dead 100 yds. away' So you need to follow up as much as you can.

Second, you said you looked through the scope seen the deer and shot. You need to put that crosshair on the hairs you want to hit!.

In know it's frustrating but this the fun of the chase! lol

O don't worry jim I was aimed on the deer I wanted lol. I'm not just shooting at the first movement.

I have nothing to blame it on other than not enough practice this year and a poor shot. And thats the most frustrating part about it I know I have a better shot then that. I'm headed to the range tomorrow to hope my scope was off a little or something lol.

Hang tough, you'll no doubt get another whack at one, and next time be smiling as it's frying in the pan.

Thats what I needed to hear lol, a few of my other hunting buddys told me the same thing. I made this post right after I got home I was still very upset with the way things played out.

But a day at the range to make sure the scope didn't get knocked off a bit, and the cooler temps coming this weekend I have high hopes.

I never quite just adjust/fix to the mistake I made and i'll be back.

Hang in there, but make sure you follow up on your shot.

This is the important part, if you pull the trigger and she didn't drop doesn't always mean you missed.Go to where she was standing and look for sign. Really look hard for hair,blood, anything.

I shot a doe this weekend at about 85 yards away and she took off running .

I knew I was on with the shot so I really followed up. Some hair ,no blood.

Tracked her in the leaves, through water, over 100 yards and started bleeding only 10 yards from where I found her.

My biggest beef is guys shoot and don't follow up.

O believe me It's almost 3am I have to work at 9 i'm loosing sleep thinking about this deer lol, and i'll be in the woods looking at the spot around 7am with a buddy. I'm giving it my all to make sure I either find and tag the deer or make sure I missed.

And I follwed up the shot she was standing on the edge of a huge patch of thick stuff with one other doe. When I shot the doe I was aiming at she jumped in the air then they both ran off. I'll be looking hard for a hour or so before work and its been cold all night so the meat should be fine.