Thanksgiving Day 8 point

KEVA

I took this eight point Thanksgiving Day. I can see my hunting ground from the house and saw this guy around noon. He disappeared in a small patch of trees (1/2 acre), and I quickly geared up and went after him. I sat for an hour waiting for him to come out after belly crawling into position, but after a while I had to go back home for the Thanksgiving Day meal. I did pass on two smaller bucks during that hour which were chasing does a good ways out, a big four point and a young six point. I kept an eye on the tree patch during dinner and he still never came out, so I skipped dessert and snuck back into position with the homemade shooting sticks. After twenty minutes a doe popped out from the tree patch. Within ten minutes she noticed me, but only realized something was out of place. He then came out behind her, but stayed beneath a dip so I could not get a clear shot. For around twenty minutes the doe was grazing in front of me at sixty yards, spending much more time focused on me than grazing. Fortunately, with my rifle shouldered and in the shooting sticks I never spooked her. Finally the buck moved up enough where I could get a clean shot. The sticks did their job making for an easy steady shot. Entered behind the near shoulder and exited out the front edge of the far shoulder. He ran out of view, but when I called home no one had seen him exit the trees and as he ran off it appeared he took it to the chest. After fifteen minutes I went to find the blood trail, but was greeted by him lying only forty yards from where he was shot. It was even early enough for me to gut and load him up without a light.

HuntingSuccess2.jpg

HuntingSuccess-1.jpg

• Like 5