so....who here ice fishes.

arrow nocker

i ice fish sandy pond as well. i go in at the elms. i hit south sandy for crappy as well. no, i dont pay the golf course to park, i have a friend that lets me park at his place. maybe ill see you out there sometime. look for a xmas tree stuck in the ice. thats our marker. i am a meat fisher too. lol.

last time i tried to enter at the Elms there was a tourney going on and had to park all the way down the road.I usually just get to the wigwam and pay the 5 to park.I get there early like 6 or so.We fish way out in the middle mostly.In around 14 Ft.of water.I will find ya out there.If we ever get ice that is.

Lake Neathawantha in Fulton can be awesome for crappies.Haven't fished it in 3-4 years but man we have pulled some hogs out of there.

I tried to fish there for crappies a couple times.Everyone says they do good over on the south east end.I have tried straight out from the camp ground before but cought nothing.

I went once and don't see that ever happening again. I was not impressed in the least. Besides, I think I've only eaten one fish that I caught in my life so I ain't sitting on top of water that is over my head, freezing my tail off to catch and release. I haven't even been open water fishing in at least three years.

I went once and don't see that ever happening again. I was not impressed in the least. Besides, I think I've only eaten one fish that I caught in my life so I ain't sitting on top of water that is over my head, freezing my tail off to catch and release. I haven't even been open water fishing in at least three years.

sorry you had a bad experience covert.I relate it to when i take a young guy hunting.If they sit in a stand and see nothing for 4 hrs and freeze their tail and toes off,they wont be quickly interested into it.It has to be interesting the first couple of times to get ya hooked.Maybe if ya went with someone that was skilled at it and had the right equipment next time it would be more entertaining for ya.

I know it isn't for every one.I remember when i moved here my uncle bought me the fish trap shanty.I had it for almost 3 yrs before i used it.I used to say"why in the heck am i going to drag this thing all the way out on the ice.Drill a hole and sit there freezing my tail off till i catch something"?I decided to go one year cause my boy loves to fish.Well we went out and filled a bucket with our limit.My uncle and his partner each had vexilars.They were not catching anything.They even set us up on a set of their old holes before they moved.My uncle called me at 6 and asked where i was that morning.I said"blah.they are fish.not deer.I can catch them anytime of day".We blasted them at noon when we finally got there.We were hooked ever since.

Ice fishing is something I generally make time to do 2-4 times a season. And, I really look forward to them.

This year I may be out of luck as I have a little one due late Jan.

Last year I made it out 2x and only once for any period of time, and that day was a blast. Didn't catch much other than a handful of perch, but we had a nice shanty, fresh venision chili cooked on the ice, and had a balst. I ran off to a flag and slipped feet up comedy movie style. Thankfully I wasn't hurt and we all had a good laugh. Times like that are rare these days since I largely hunt alone or with one person max. Nothing like being able to do some hunting/fishing with friends and family.

Ya.a 8 inch hole can really fit a size 11 boot some how.Had a kid with us once and he went in one leg all the way to the crotch.Then he didn't say any thing cause he thought he was going to get into trouble.All at the same time my propane ran out of my heater.Saw him shivering reall bad then notice he was wet.Had to dump the water out of his boot.LOL.Poor kid.

Or cell phones down the hole.Seen that twice.My son lost a pole in the hole.i don't know how many scoops.And i havn't been doing it for a long time either.

• Like 1

sorry you had a bad experience covert.I relate it to when i take a young guy hunting.If they sit in a stand and see nothing for 4 hrs and freeze their tail and toes off,they wont be quickly interested into it.It has to be interesting the first couple of times to get ya hooked.Maybe if ya went with someone that was skilled at it and had the right equipment next time it would be more entertaining for ya.

I know it isn't for every one.I remember when i moved here my uncle bought me the fish trap shanty.I had it for almost 3 yrs before i used it.I used to say"why in the heck am i going to drag this thing all the way out on the ice.Drill a hole and sit there freezing my tail off till i catch something"?I decided to go one year cause my boy loves to fish.Well we went out and filled a bucket with our limit.My uncle and his partner each had vexilars.They were not catching anything.They even set us up on a set of their old holes before they moved.My uncle called me at 6 and asked where i was that morning.I said"blah.they are fish.not deer.I can catch them anytime of day".We blasted them at noon when we finally got there.We were hooked ever since.

It was a combination of the temperature and the noise of the ice popping and creaking that did it for me. I am scared of ice and I'm not afraid to admit it. When I was big in snowmobiling I refused to ride on ice too. Ice and snakes; both scare me. And spiders on the field. And bees in my helmet and quicksand. Quicksand's a scary mother.

• 3 months later...

well another year of ice fishing came and went. I need to fine a new partner my old partner got sick and he no longer fish's or hunts.

so I am now on the look out for a new ice fishing partner and if your intrested in surf or fresh water fishing on long island let me know

papabear