New rimfire round coming out

The description is pretty vague,so what do you guys think it is,or would want it to be?I would love to see a .25 cal that has enough horse to knock down a yote so the guys in shotgun only areas can hunt during deer season.

http://www.huntingclub.com/blogs/articletype/articleview/articleid/14630/categoryid/4098/winchester-will-unveil-game-changing-rimfire-cartridge#.UMky_3cbhHF

Edited by MACHINIST
  • Like 2

Those results sound pretty impressive, for a rimfire. Yeah .25 cal would be cool.

He said that the round out performed the closest rimfire in its class. I assume that would be a .22 mag?? If its out shooting the 22 mag. by that much it would definitely handle coyotes no problem.

Edited by ants

Pretty sure it's a smaller round than a .22. It claims to be 500 fps faster than any other rimfire, which will require more powder and less weight in the bullet. I'd imagine another necked down round similar to the 17 HMR, but with more powder. I'm guessing its a .20 cal with a rim wider than a .25 cal.

I wonder how pushing the envelope like this would effect hunting regulations. Some hunting is allowed with rimfires only due to the limitations of a rimfire. But once a rimfire approaches the capabilities of a centerfire, will they ban rimfire hunting in those situations entirely? Maybe, maybe not. We shall see.

I wonder how pushing the envelope like this would effect hunting regulations. Some hunting is allowed with rimfires only due to the limitations of a rimfire. But once a rimfire approaches the capabilities of a centerfire, will they ban rimfire hunting in those situations entirely? Maybe, maybe not. We shall see.

I'm also worried about this. As long as the rimfire don't surpass that of the .223, it should be ok.

I can't imagine a rimfire being able to burn powder efficiently enough to propel a 40 grain .22 with that speed and accuracy. Somethings gotta give.

As Festus would have said, "I have my doubtfuls about this purported round!" I have had great success with my .22 magnum...a buddy really likes his 22 Hornet...several like the .223. Where's the need for this new rimfire. When/if I feel under-gunned with my .22 mag, I'll step up to one of the centerfires that my buddies use.

As Festus would have said, "I have my doubtfuls about this purported round!" I have had great success with my .22 magnum...a buddy really likes his 22 Hornet...several like the .223. Where's the need for this new rimfire. When/if I feel under-gunned with my .22 mag, I'll step up to one of the centerfires that my buddies use.

the problem is I cannot hunt with a centerfire .223 in my area's until jan

and some of my area's about 3,000 acres i can't use my .223 until feb because of the dmfa....and the .22mag is not enough to kill coyotes consistantly at night

so somthing a little stronger is a great idea....fingers crossed

Are coyotes harder to kill at night? What range are you talking about shooting at night? Most of my night time predator hunting has been close-in...shotgun or .22 mag range.

If, in fact, Winchester gets this round on the market, I'm sure it will sell. Hunters/shooters have become much like skiers: gotta have the latest gear!

not harder to kill...harder to make the shot....harder to make the recovery

you shoot a coyote with a 22mag and they will die....but can you make the recovery

if they run a 100yards you will not find them.....and we almost never have snow this time of year

i will not use a 22mag...i have lost to many....with good shots...it's not worth it....if this round is better i will try one