Anyone have experience with a 7x57 or 7mm Mauser?

Rev Ev

Yes I have Rev..

My first deer rifle was a M95 Chilean Mauser that I sporterized.

I bought it for $35 in very good condition at a surplus store, cut down the barrel, had the bolt bent for scope, yada, yada.

It was in my PRE-reloading days, so I shot factory loads in it.It was very accurate and killed well. I wish I still had it now in it's original military condition.It would worth several hundred bucks.

After that I had a Ruger M77 ( tang safety) and it never grouped worth a hill of beans. I ended up peddling it, and learned later that the early Rugers were notoriously long throated and in order to get good accuracy you had to load long bullets in 160 or 175 grain and seat them out just as far as you could and still have them fit in the magazine. I was not a savvy enough reloader at the time to figure that out. I did manage to kill a couple of bucks with it, but soon sent it down the road.

The 7x57 , in a modern rifle such as Ruger or M98 Mauser, is ballistically VERY close to the 7mm08. The recoil is somewhat milder than the 270/30-06 class of cartridges, but it kills just as well.

Some factory loads have been loaded to lower pressures due to the number of M93 and M95 Mausers floating around out there. Those actions aren't considered as strong as M98 mausers or modern commercial bolt actions.

Edited by Pygmy

Some factory loads have been loaded to lower pressures due to the number of M93 and M95 Mausers floating around out there. Those actions aren't considered as strong as M98 mausers or modern commercial bolt actions.

Good point here......

If you want/need to shoot factory, look for speed published on loads if shooting "good" equiptment that'll take hotter loads if you want the benefits of a flatter/retained energy load.

Especially US loaded ammo is low velocity, bottom end to make up for suspect sporterised stuff. But does cut recoil noticeably and may not matter depending on distances etc. (lots of decent Euro ammo loaded to full potential out there)

Just curious if anyone has one and how it compares to other rifles they shoot.

Rev...Do you have a particular rifle in mind ?

I have often thought of buying another 7x57, but I currently have a 7mm08,which is nearly identical performance wise, and I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head..<<grin>>....

I have often thought of buying another 7x57, but I currently have a 7mm08,which is nearly identical performance wise, and I need another rifle like I need another hole in my head..<<grin>>....

I fail to see the reasoning behind using performance overlap as a detterence from buying another rifle.

YMMV.

:)

I fail to see the reasoning behind using performance overlap as a detterence from buying another rifle.

YMMV.

Well duhhhh...<grin>

My 257 Roberts, 243 Win, 25-06, 260 Rem (pistol), 7mm-08 are all a bit redundant. Seems like I need a 308 Win. or even (gulp).......a 250 Savage tossed into the mix?

Thank goodness for the massive performance difference in my 300 WSM or I'd REALLY be in a performance overlap quandary.

I love your thinking Dinsdale. <grin>

YMMV.

Point taken, Dinsdale....

The real reason is my fixed income...I'd rather spend what little I have left DOING things, rather than BUYING things..

And I do have most everything I may want to shoot covered fairly well..

.22 LR...17 mach II, 7mm08, .280 Rem,30-06 and 9.3 x 62.

I also have shotgun bores covered pretty well, at least from .410 bore to 3 inch 12 gauge..

Reason I ask is because I do need a new rifle, sold my old 7mm RemMag and have been toying between the 300Wm or a 270. I'm not gonna have the cash to buy another rifle for a long time and I still go out west a lot (home is MT) and still want something that will put everything down. I was just looking around a bit and started to think about the 7mm Mauser as an option and just wanted some others with experience on it thoughts. I know it was THE African gun at the beginning Honestly, I just want something that kicked less than my 7mm Rem Mag, I simply did not like shooting it. I'm not plinking with it, but I am gonna shoot it enough to be very familiar with it.

But as far as a brand I haven't found one. I tend to be a Browning or Remington man myself. Except my Ruger 10/22.

Point taken, Dinsdale....

I'm just messing with you, hence the smiley face.

@ Rev......

7x57 as new production can be done, but going to be a limited number of "regular" makers.

Ruger did chamber the 77 as factory, but not anymore. They still do the no 1 as a full stock (single shot).

Several Euro makers have them, For one set of rifles I own can get several choices of barrel types chambered for it........but its out there for price for what most folk pay for a gun. Most are chambering for 7x64 Brenneke anyway as a 7mm along with an -08 and Rem Mag........

Given cost parameters a 7-08 may make a bit more sense if in the new market.

Used is a whole different ball game......lots of decent iron out there at reasonable cost in 7x57.

got a 7x57 mauser that was already sporterized from my brother back in the late 70"s.

shot great, rolled my own ammo. killed 20 deer in Arkansas, Pa, and NY. gave it back to my brother last march. loved the gun and the round but, if i was going to buy a gun that i was going to travel with, it would be a 30-06 for a number of reasons. with proper loads it will take down any thing on this continent. if you reload or know someone that does, you can shoot any where from a 100 grain plinker to 180gr + for big game. rounds can be loaded to suit your recoil comfort level. but the biggest reason i would go for an '06 is that the ammo is readily available no matter where you go, US or Canada. fail to have ammo because you forgot or it got lost or miss placed by transportation company or maybe brought the wrong caliber with you, you would be glad for a round that is on the shelf where ever you go.

good luck.

• 5 weeks later...