Help with stock fitting and finish....wood working folks help.

I bought a finished stock set from Boyd's to replace the old beat up stock set on my Savage 24. The buttstock required some minor fitting, but I didnt mind that so much. The issue is, that the new stock set is aftermarket, and its dimensions are a little bit on the big side in terms of where it meets the frame of the gun. I can see some small ammount of walnut from where I had to make it fit the profile of the gun. What would be the best way to finish up these small areas of the buttstock? I dont think I'll ever match the stain color of the outside of the stock...plus now I'm dealing with an end grain, so that alone will soak up any stains differently.

Would a few coats of tung oil or true oil be enough? Any input would be great. I will try to load a picture of what I'm dealing with so its easier to visualize. The picture makes it look worse than it is...the fit isnt all that bad.

Thanks.

074DEF16-A88C-42A2-8C76-2DB8EA7C1592-3762-0000028E22644CE6.jpg

First I'd email Boyd's and see what they use.....I'm guessing its just birchwood-casey product.

Myself I would lightly break the sharp edge there with some 220 or 320.....

Take a little tru-oil and add a couple drops of stain in a similar color....Just enough to q-tip on a bit til' I got a good color saturation. Typically I use commercial aniline dye type stains to pre-match a color, but you can get by with a mix to make things easier.

Coat any other cutting/sanding you did inside to seal it with the tru-oil.

First I'd email Boyd's and see what they use.....I'm guessing its just birchwood-casey product.

Myself I would lightly break the sharp edge there with some 220 or 320.....

Take a little tru-oil and add a couple drops of stain in a similar color....Just enough to q-tip on a bit til' I got a good color saturation. Typically I use commercial aniline dye type stains to pre-match a color, but you can get by with a mix to make things easier.

Coat any other cutting/sanding you did inside to seal it with the tru-oil.

I guess a Dremel isn't the right way to go?

<grin>

• 1 month later...

elbow grease and sand paper on a block. sand a light taper in it starting from the grip forward. mark the end grain with a pencil as a guild, remove the stock, sand away. when it gets close attach the stock back on check fit. repeat until good. use good sand paper start course (60grit) when it starts getting close switch to 120 grit, finish with 220, a bit time consuming but well worth the effort. another hint, start with one side, then the other, finish with the top. aftermarket stocks are kind of like kids toys at christmas, some assembly required until reengineering is needed!