Prusik Knot

Just a little FYI for those interested, two weeks ago I went down to my buddies in Arcade to enlist a bit of help. I have been curious about the strength of my safety lines/knots/caribiners etc.

Well, between Tom and I we THOUGHT we had 250lbs of logging chain between us. We laid out a hunk of strap that is sewed into a loop. We then draped all the chain over the top of the strap and passed one end through the other and hooked a caribiner to it.

We used his tractor with a bucket to lift me about 12' into a pine tree and I hooked up my 6-7year old safety line. With the Prusik knot about a foot from the top, he then hoisted me back up with all the chain in the bucket and I proceeded to hook onto the Prusik. Then, with the tractor backed away from the tree a bit, he dumped and I pushed the load out rather quickly to somewhat simulate my fat azz heading to China.

Well, it all worked great except that after getting back to his barn and reweighing the load we came up about 60lbs SHORT of the 250lb target, only 190lbs. Man......now I need to do it again.

In a few weeks, I'll be at another friends farm and he said we could redo it but this time we will use 3 of his 100lb tractor weights. NOW that will really put my mind at ease. I plan on taking pictures of this little go-round and I'll post them up for your viewing enjoyment.

I'm NYS certified to the intermedate level in rope rescue.Gone up a rope 5 stories with nothing but 2 Prusiks... You want a good rope, you won't find this at Loews....

You want your loop made out of smaller diameter rope.

I like a double or even triple fishermans knot for the loop.

The loop gets tied on the main line via a Prusik.I've seen many mess it up. It will slip on nylon and the like type rope.

The Prusik will need to be dressed.

We will toss out a rescue rope if it gets stepped on , so keep in mind wrapping it around bark,dirt, and drop testing loads , pulling deer behind the atv with it will shorten its life .

Some of the rope hanging from my trees cost more then the stand in the tree .But then I know a few guys who have broken bones from falls.