Prusik Knot

Im pretty sure this was posted on the old empire site, but I havent seen it on here and thought it would be something good to have posted. Last night I was picking up a new stand and was getting the stuff I needed for it and I saw the Hunters Safety System Lifeline for $40. Sheesh, thats a bunch of money for a rope with a knot tied on it. I went to Harbor Freight and spent $5 on 75 feet of camo rope and made my own 35 foot "lifeline" for right around $2.50 lol. Heres a good site for showing how to tie the knot.

http://www.animatedknots.com/prusik/index.php

HUH!

Do you have a high level of confidence in your newly aquired knot tying skills?

Or do you test it at 6-8' off the ground?

Just me, but I'm testing my new skill before risking my limbs or life. :)

The wrap aroung rope with the Prusik knot is $25, well worth learning how to tie one yourself.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys let me throw a bit of info on this. Price Goldline climbing rope.....$$$$$. The stuff you buy at 300 rated pounds is static load. falling is not static load. In the construction industry the standard is set as follows. the connection point has to be rated for 5,000 pounds......know anything 5,000 pounds...your truck. there is a safety factor (i think of 2) built in on that but a 250 pound guy falling 6 feet will generate well OVER the 300 you are trusting your life too. Don't do it. I have seen demonstrations of different systems in this business and I couldn't believe some of the ones I thought were fine...failed.

That is a great knot and have used it in climbing......would just hate to see anyone laying on the ground with a nicely tied knot connected to a severed frayed rope.

Ok guys let me throw a bit of info on this. Price Goldline climbing rope.....$$$$$. The stuff you buy at 300 rated pounds is static load. falling is not static load. In the construction industry the standard is set as follows. the connection point has to be rated for 5,000 pounds......know anything 5,000 pounds...your truck. there is a safety factor (i think of 2) built in on that but a 250 pound guy falling 6 feet will generate well OVER the 300 you are trusting your life too. Don't do it. I have seen demonstrations of different systems in this business and I couldn't believe some of the ones I thought were fine...failed.

That is a great knot and have used it in climbing......would just hate to see anyone laying on the ground with a nicely tied knot connected to a severed frayed rope.

Excellent Post!

Below is the OSHA Guideline

1926.104(;)  Lifelines shall be secured above the point of operation to an anchorage or structural member capable of supporting a minimum dead weight of 5,400 pounds.  1926.104©  Lifelines used on rock-scaling operations, or in areas where the lifeline may be subjected to cutting or abrasion, shall be a minimum of 7/8-inch wire core manila rope. For all other lifeline applications, a minimum of 3/4-inch manila or equivalent, with a minimum breaking strength of 5,400 pounds, shall be used.  1926.104(d)  Safety belt lanyard shall be a minimum of 1/2-inch nylon, or equivalent, with a maximum length to provide for a fall of no greater than 6 feet. The rope shall have a nominal breaking strength of 5,400 pounds.

So is the rope that comes with these safety systems geared towards bow hunters the right stuff?

It sure isn't the same rope a mountain climber is using. 

Maybe it's "good enough" because, in theory, it's generally a straight shot to the ground with no abrasion?

I wouldn't worry about the abrasion as much as the shock rating of it. If they are selling the system it must be rated for it. I would be willing to bet there is paragraphs of disclaimer on the thingstating to keep the connection point high and not designed as a fall arrest system. 

The number one consideration is keep the connection point above you and the line as short as possible. You could put 300 pounds easily on a line rated for 300 and hang from it. I wouldn't want it to stop my fall though. fully geared I am over 250 and that 250 generates a lot of force while falling.

Hmmm, food for thought. I might have to look at some better rope. The way I have mine is so that while Im climbing, Im only going to drop about a foot before it catches me, so I dont think the shock load would be that bad. When Im in my stand, its maybe 2 or 3 inches, I dont want to hang very far below the stand at all.

Im only going to drop about a foot before it catches me, so I dont think the shock load would be that bad.

Let me cut and paste that so you future wife has it to give to the guy that chisels granite ;) .

I agree you won't generate much at a foot drop but please...at least give yourself a safety factor of 2-2.5

Nah, its good that you talked sense into me. I have a daughter and a baby on the way and dont need to be falling out of trees. I picked up some 7/16 12 strand solid braid polyester rope. It has a 400lb work load with a 3000lb shock rating. The only thing that sucks is its white, but thats not that big of a deal. I got it for $25 for 100 feet. Should be enough to rig up 3 or 4 stands. I also picked up some new spring clips rated for 500lbs. The whole deal was still less than 1 of the HSS ropes.

What are you using the spring clips for?  I have one, attached to my harness that I hook onto the prusik hitch when I get to the base of the tree.

As for the white rope/line, get a packet of brown RIT die and toss it and the line into a 5 gal bucket.  Done deal!

Im attaching the spring clips to the lifelines rather than have one on my vest strap. I wear my vest into the woods, so I wouldnt want the clip hitting something and making noise on the way in. Good tip on the Dye, Ill pick that up tonight and get the rope dyed before I put it up tomorrow.

That's what I figured on the clips.  When I put my harness on,  it goes on before my coat and I pull the strap/caribiner over my right shoulder and just tuck the 'biner under my chest strap and don't have any issues with noise.  Then the coat goes on over the harness. 

Only issue I have with a harness is the occasional time that I need to get out of it FAST to have a talk with Mother Nature.    :'(

• 1 year later...

Thought I'd bring this topic back to the top again.

It's well worth reading!!

Also the answer to short tether lines on your harness.

DIY tying a prussic knot & what size rope to use..

If you're like me those cheapy tree straps that come with inexpensive treestands leave a lot to be desired regarding safety.

Edited by nyslowhand