National Hunting & Fishing day (Avon, NY)

Doc

I just got home from the festivities over the region 8 DEC headquarters. We skipped last year because it was getting a bit repetitive, but dropped in today to see what kinds of things that may have been added over the past two years. Huge disappointment! They have downsized the event considerably. I would guess that it was about 2/3 of what it was last time I attended. It was not going unnoticed either as I heard quite a few people grumbling about the huge empty areas that used to be filled with exhibitors. I'm not sure whether somebody at the DEC has dropped the ball in terms of organization and soliciting of participants, but something is definitely going in the wrong direction with that event.

That's the bad news. However, there was one display that really got my attention. There were some people there with a couple of live bucks that were looking a bit like the ones shown in that video that we had floating around on one of the threads here. These bruisers were huge! Very domestic ...... but huge! I believe the owners were a scent production outfit. I tried to remember the web address and name of the outfit, but you know how it is with geezers and their memory.

The other good news is that it looked to me like the attendance was not suffering any. At least to me it looked like the usual large crowd, especially considering the threatening skies. So anyone of all those people who had never seen one of the shows would not realize that it had been downsized, and still would be very impressed by the whole affair. And don't get me wrong, it still is one very great outdoor show by any measure, but I was just a bit disappointed that the size has actually taken a major step backward.

Doc

One of the pee collectors is John Bacon from North Country Products . John is from Lyons , NY and if he ever smiled , I bet his face would crack . John uses a blow dart gun and uses it with whatever to put the does into estrous and then collects their urine . He attends a lot of the Sportmen's Dinners and did a slide show talk at one of them .

One of his bucks came after him once and tried to kill him .

One of his bucks came after him once and tried to kill him .

You know, that thought crossed my mind as I stood with my face a few inches from his. They don't impress you with huge size like a moose or something, but the size is adequate and the speed is something you simply could not defend against. And that head-gear is just designed for penetration. I do believe that they could be very dangerous animals, especially the domesticated ones that have lost their natural fear of humans.

Doc