I need some clarification

Yeah, I freaked out too. But I kept reading & searching the 'net to get a better understanding of how the new laws apply to me. In my small collection of rifles, only 1 is semiauto. All the others are either pump or lever action. I only need to register the semiauto due to the new inclusion of the pistol grip.

Edited by ginoe

I am a nyc resident and have a permit but a friend of mine that lives near my hunting camp said something to the fact of now having to register all of his guns and a statewide permit will be put into effect.

Your friend is incorrect. Other than pistol permits, there are no other permits for the rest of us, you only have to register guns that fall into the assault weapon definition.

Your friend is incorrect. Other than pistol permits, there are no other permits for the rest of us, you only have to register guns that fall into the assault weapon definition.

Got it. Thanks. What about the ammunition background check, doest that apply to all of New York state or just NYC?

Here is what I cant understand is how are they going to enforce the private sales background check?

It's enforced through the registration process. As a NYC resident, all your guns are registered I pressume. If you want to sell them to someone, you would want to unregistered them from you. To do so, you need a FFL to fill out the form and assist in the sale. The FFL then does the background check. That's how they plan on eliminating private sales.

It's enforced through the registration process. As a NYC resident, all your guns are registered I pressume. If you want to sell them to someone, you would want to unregistered them from you. To do so, you need a FFL to fill out the form and assist in the sale. The FFL then does the background check. That's how they plan on eliminating private sales.

My guns are registered but upstate I believe they do not have to be registered so if a private sale takes place then how will anybody know?

I believe it is statewide.

I'm at the Dicks in the Palisades Center, Nyack. Nothing on the shelves except shotgun birdshot, slugs & muzzle loader ammo. Some .243 & fewer .308. I'm tempted to purchase some .308 just to see what the new process is going to be like.

Got it. Thanks. What about the ammunition background check, doest that apply to all of New York state or just NYC?

My guns are registered but upstate I believe they do not have to be registered so if a private sale takes place then how will anybody know?

Under this new law, upstate, handgun and "assualt rifles" will be checked. Other long guns will still be able to roam freely.

So once again there will still be plenty of loop holes which is why I dont understand why they are going to such great lengths. And maybe this belongs in another topic but what the hell does having a pistol grip on my shotgun or rifle have anything to do with being an AR???

I believe it is statewide.

I'm at the Dicks in the Palisades Center, Nyack. Nothing on the shelves except shotgun birdshot, slugs & muzzle loader ammo. Some .243 & fewer .308. I'm tempted to purchase some .308 just to see what the new process is going to be like.

You wont know, it hasnt gone into effect

Under this new law, upstate, handgun and "assualt rifles" will be checked. Other long guns will still be able to roam freely.

Any gun falling under the description of assault weapon cannot be sold to anyone other than out of state or a dealer. You can no longer buy any more of them here either, anywhere in the state. All guns are supposed to go through an FFL for any sale.

No you cant, you had to have owned it before the bill was signed into law.

That is exactly what I mean about a loophole. Upstate if the gun is not registered then there is no record of ownership because it could change ownership without any record so therefore a AR could be privately bought and registered within the next year to clear this ban. Dont mistaken this for my upcoming plans of buying a AR but I am just trying to figure out how they are going to actually enforce this and if it really makes sense.

So once again there will still be plenty of loop holes which is why I dont understand why they are going to such great lengths. And maybe this belongs in another topic but what the hell does having a pistol grip on my shotgun or rifle have anything to do with being an AR???

http://www.assaultweapon.info/

It has nothing to do with it. it has everything to do with the fact that the people who are putting these laws in place do not in fact know anything about guns or how they work.