coyote impack on small game

There was a survey report from Maine on coyote and what they have been found to be eating. The survey suggested that fduring the period of when young deer are being born, the coyote is up to 40% of it food source. But as the summer goes along it gets to be less and less. The rest of the year it sure seems they suggest the food source is small game of any type. Rabbit, or young turkey or any thing that walks or flys. I found on our place 3 sets of fawn this year so far. Most must have been only a few weeks old based on bone size. I think NY should just have a open season on the coyote.

So I'm curious,you want all year coyote hunting right?

How many coyotes have you killed during the six month season we have now?

NY state was well on its way to becoming a deer hunting mecca in the 1990's. QDM, food plots, awesome genetics, perfect environmental conditions, and then came the population boom of the coyote and with some better breeding (wondered how that happened?). Now hogs are sneaking over the pa line.  Coyotes, hogs, and other issues (disease, regulations, fees, population controls) facing the herd are leading to the thought that good old NY might in be in for some heartache. Storm is brewing. Doc -cool links to coyote studies.

This is out of the rule boo,I didnt see anything about dogs running at will....

Control - Hunting dogs should remain under control of the hunter or trainer, especially on lands inhabited by deer. Do not shoot at dogs; report stray dogs to a local Environmental Conservation Officer or your local animal control officer.

Ultramag, while there are bad apples in the hound hunting fraternity, not all are or tresspass. Hound hunters should not be labled as such. There are bad aplles in every sport. Calling, deer hunting, trapping.

From last years syllabus

While it may be lawful for a dog to pursue game on land that may be posted, it is not lawful for a hunter to knowingly release a dog on posted property.

As long as a dog is being used to hunt small game species during an open season it is not considered at large. The use of tracking devices is allowed to be under control.

A few years ago I was shooting woodchucks for a farmer in Groveland . His wife told me NOT to shoot any coyotes as they helped get rid of some of the woodchucks plus they helped keep their barn cat population down . She said that they were down to 17 barncats .

That's another view of coyotes that you don't hear very often, but she's right as far as her reasoning went. Predators do have their place. But I have to say that if we don't step in and act as a bit of a predator for them, then we do have to live with the consequences of having a species that has absolutely no natural enemies. When that is the case, then we have wildly swinging cycles that impact the species that they prey on. One of those species may very well be the deer. Also as uncontrolled coyote populations occur, the only control that will take effect is the various canine diseases. Some of which can spread to domestic animals and other carnivores.

I too have seen a jump in the number of reds this year. Whether I just happen to be in the right place and time a lot this year or the population is rising remains to be seen. I have, however, noticed increased sightings which is "usually" an indicator of increased pop. but, without hard data its hard to say for sure. 

CNY