Ducks Long Island

Nasone

I've always been told not to- or at least to avoid certain species. My friends always breast out the brant and feed it to the dogs. I did take a couple of mallards a few weeks ago and I made jerky- it was awesome. I'm not sure, but I think the thought process around not eating local birds is related to pollution in the local waters.

Like Virgil says, there are certain types you should stay away from like Mergansers because of the high mercury content in the meat. Besides that they just taste awful. I have heard of guys grinding up divers and making sauage out of them. Puddle ducks like mallards, blacks and widgeon taste great! Never had a bad tasting duck of this type.

I do a lot of waterfowl hunting on long island. I make jerky out of all the puddle ducks and geese, and won't even shoot divers. The best ones to eat are teal and wooduck, those I won't jerky. And yes, I have eaten bufflehead and they weren't good. Fast little buggers though.