Scored Another Old Cartridge

Pygmy

For years, I have accumulated old shotshells and metallic cartridges.

I use the term ACCUMULATE rather than COLLECT, because there is no real goal or organization to my collection. When I run across an old , unique, or unusual shell or cartridge, I just set it up on one of my "memory shelves" a set of bookshelves in my gun room that holds all kinds of memorabilia from photos and turkey calls to expanded bullets that I have recovered from some of the critters I have killed over the years.

One of my hunting/fishing buddies is moving south ( I'll miss him dearly) and he was packing up some of his stuff and he found an old .38-55 cartridge. He knew about my "accumulation" and gave it to me.

It is still possible to purchase .38-55 factory loads, but this one is definitely old...I didn't have one.

I added it to my shelf next to the .303 Savage rounds that I got from josephmrtn last weekend..

• Like 1

Are those old shells worth anything? I have a couple boxes of Western SuperX 20 ga. slugs (Yellow box paper hull) and several paper hull bird shot loads that have the shot size marked on the top of the shell, where the crimp is. On the slug boxes it says "smokeless powder and non corrosive primers." So I guess they're old.

Edited by ants

I assume that is a lever action cartridge?

It was introduced in 1875, and chambered in a number of single shot rifles.

Marlin chambered thier M1893 lever action for it, and it was one of the first cartridges that the Winchester 94 was offered in.

Are those old shells worth anything? I have a couple boxes of Western SuperX 20 ga. slugs (Yellow box paper hull) and several paper hull bird shot loads that have the shot size marked on the top of the shell, where the crimp is. On the slug boxes it says "smokeless powder and non corrosive primers." So I guess they're old.

Unless they are super rare, they are not worth a whole lot...Assuming the slugs are boxes of five, they might fetch 10 bucks or so at a gun show. The boxes themselves, if in good shape, are often worth more than the ammo..