Mad River Canoes - Any Opinions?

SteveMcD

I've had one for about 15 years.  Mine is a fiberglass version the made with the Orvis logo on it.  Wide and fairly flat bottom, cane seats, removable cane back rests and teak gunwale.

She's a beauty that doesn't see as much water as I'd like.

Is this the boat you are looking at?

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/product/index/products/recreation/adventure_destiny_series/adventure_16

I have been around Mad river canoes for awhile now.  This is a newer boat and I havn't paddled it but from the looks of it it looks like it can take a licking.  It almost looks like a kayak. 

The madriver name is a great name and I highly recomend it, old town is another good name if you are looking around.  It is late in the season but I know you can go to local outfitters and they should have paddle days and if you are looking to buy a boat you can demo them before you buy.  If you look hard enough you might be able to buy the as a demo.  They tend to be a couple of hundred dollars cheaper.  They will have scratches on them but they are still great boats.

Good luck on your new boat.

About 10 years ago I used to sell them. They were top of the line very high quality boats. Old Town are good, but much more family/ recreation oriented.

I understand M.R. is now under different ownership. This is the time of the year to buy in stock boats...most places dont want to hold on to them until spring.

Your particular boat I am not familiar with. Google reviews on it.