Teaching kids to hunt

iDABhunt

Would you teach or mentor a child to hunt?  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Would you teach or mentor a child to hunt?

• Yes-have done so (my kids)
    • Yes-have done so (other children)
    • No - not interested
    • Considering it to promote our heritage
    • Let someone else do it

I have mentored my sons and five of my nephews. Unfortunately, all are either away at school,consumed by work, controlled by their girlfriends or some other constraint upon their time; which makes it very difficult for them to find time to hunt. For the past several years my son and several of my nephews have hunted Thanksgiving morning with a modicum of success.

I voted that Yes I have tought other kids to hunt.  I figured it was most accurate as it wasn't really a kid.  It was one of my best friends which I took out turkey hunting.  He really enjoyed it even though he wasn't hunting, he was just there for the sight.  This was two springs ago and by the time deer season came around he had his license and a gun!!!!  Now we will probably be lifetime hunting partners. 

I take kids out into the woods all the time. ???

LOL...ok that just sounds creepy. But if I added that I also have a gun with me, it sounds even worse! ;)

But seriously, I do enjoy teaching kids how to hunt, read a trail, dress a kill. Both my daughters can shoot very well, using a variety of weapons. They're just busy being teenagers and aren't as interested in it as I am.

I took out my brother in law (before he was my brother in law) and I took out my sister's step son last year. In a couple of years I will be taking out my own kids (God willing). I always like to start them off small game. For one you see more animals and two it teaches them to sit, be patient and to be quite.