favorite 357 Mag load for deer

eagle rider

Never shot a deer with a .357 or any other "standard" handgun round, except for a mercy killing with a .38 semi wadcutter in the back of the head.

However, I expect that most any 158 grain jacketed soft point would do a decent job out to 50 yards, assuming good shot placement, of course.

What I would avoid are the lighter, higher velocity loadings, like the 110 or 125 HP, which might not give sufficient penetration should you hit heavy bone..

eagle rider

I had the same handgun and took 3 N.Y. whitetails with it ( a doe and two 4 pointers).

I used 158 gr JSP and broadside shots. All stopped on the far side under the hide.

Shots were about 15, 40 and 60 yards and the deer ran about 30 yards.

I think a 180 gr hard cast by Double Tap Ammunition would work better.

I used that load on a 130 lbs European boar.

Warren

post-406-0-97191100-1366037731_thumb.jpg

post-406-0-41191700-1366037745_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Just please expect the same sort of group size expectation for yourself from your handgun that you would expect from your rifle before you take to the field with it.

I have seen way too many handgun hunters who are happy with dinner plate size groups at 25 yards, and think they are prepared for 50...even though they wont take to the field with their rifles until they can keep a group under 2" at 100. I used a 18o grain soft point with good results. Test heavier bullets carefully through your revolver. The heavier/ longer projectiles may bind the cylinder.

i like the xtp's. i use them in both my 44 carbine and muzzle loader. 2 of the bullets ive  been able to recover were 'mushroomed' perfectly and intact. out of the dozen or so deer ive shot with them the longest run was about 15 yrds, and not always the best shot placement. just my 2 cents worth.