Garming GPS, pls help

Hey guys, I'm sure you have all answered this question a million times, but I'm hoping for some personal advise.  I am purchasing my first handheld GPS.  I cannot use my phone as I have no service in my hunting areas and do not feel comfortable cache'ing the maps.  I was initially looking into the Rino but my buddies all got regular radios, I was hoping to talk them into all getting Rinos, but that didn't happen.  Now I am looking at the Oregon 450t or the GPSMAP 62(s, S). I mainly hunt in NY state but will hopefully be doing some trips in the coming years.  My main concern is accuracy.  I go into the woods in the dark and to have the GPS bring me right to my tree would be great.  I read that the accuracy may not be the best on the 450t since they don't have the extended antenna, which is what led me to look into the GPSMAP series.  I have read the GPSMAP series are extremely accurate.  Any information you can provide would be helpful as I am looking to pull the trigger online today so I can go to my newly leased land in a few weeks to scout with it. I want to get the maps from huntingmaps.com, but they do not have NYS available yet, I have my fingers crossed that it isn't too far behind, does anyone have the inside scoop??

well I have a Garmin Etrex HC & will put me within feet of my waypoint it does not have extended antenna wasnt the basic model but not far from it. They should all be accurate enough nowadays. The one thing I wish I had for a feature for mine is an SD card as I hunt NH & NY & mine does not have enough memory for maps for both states

The more I think about it and check out the prices, I may be better off sticking to the Rino 655t, as it is basically the same price as the 62STC, but also has the radio (so I do not need to carry 2 different devices).  Are there any glaring reasons why I shouldn't do that?  As an FYI, if anyone is looking for an Oregon 450t, Cabelas has them on sale for $199 today!

Batteries

If using the radio & GPS you better have a lot of spare batteries

the Rino's will eat them up. I was thinking of the Rino when I bought my gps but was told by a lot of people that a set of batteries will not last them a day

my gps can go a week if using it a lot

I used the Rino 120's for years on public land in upstste NY. Only lost satellite once in a deep ravine at last light. Was pretty scary but kept walking until I got my reception back.

They still sell the 120 and its affordable if a bunch of friends also get it.

I now have the Garmin Montana 600 and it works great.

I live in Colorado now but am a New Yorker at heart.

For out west, if you get a Garmin, get the Hubting GPS maps chip as it gives you more detail as well as private and public land and GMU unit details.

Good luck.

Rudy

well that is a good idea about the battery pack I would check the spec's on how long a charge will last

I love the idea of the radio/gps in one just did not like the cost of replacing batteries everyday other then that I would think the Rino is a great choice

FYI you can talk to other handheld radios they don't have to be Rino's you just cant follow them on your gps

I think that is the major selling point for me.  Since we all NEED to have radios (no cell service) we need to communicate.  I would rather have my radio in my GPS, therefore its just less electronics to carry, watch out for and charge!  lol  Plus if I can talk my guys into getting them down the road, it will be even better.  Yea I think I might pull the trigger on that one.  Found a good price on thedigitaloasis.com.  Looks like a Florida based company, has anyone ever purchased an item from them?

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60CSx and it works fine . I use it to check the distances I have walked and to find Geo Caches more than anything . It uses 2 AA batteries and they last quite a while . I prefer the throw away batteries vs the rechargables .

post-132-0-33833800-1369249096_thumb.jpg