Logging

Bleitten04

Does anyone know what the effects of logging have on deer during and before the season.  I'm guessing there is alot of information that may affect the outcome like how much logging, hunting pressure, stability of the heard and such.  I'm looking for general reactions of deer though.  I've heard that deer will come to a chain saw because they are curious?  Any thoughts on this?

one of the places I hunt was logged right before the season - 2 things happened - 1) there patterns changed a little bit - they walked right down the logging trails

2) they were feeding on the "tops" that were left behind by the loggers

The more the better.

I have never seen where logging has hurt the deer population. On the contrary, it seems to give them three things they like most, food, cover and safety. (And it's good for all other animals and plants too. The worst thing is an old forest that is dark with a full canopy. Once it cuts the light out, nothing can grow.

The timber company I lease from requires the tops be left in place to provide a barrier to browsing the new growth off. If they are stipulating it in their contracts it must be a draw. other wise they would let the tops go. Some of the loggers let their guys take the tops for firewood...not with this company because they want the new growth for the next generation of trees

i have been logging and skidding logs out of an area on my property and i see deer tracks in the mud on the very trail that i use daily, i have recently stopped logging the area(about 1 week ago) and see deer on my trail cam right in the spot where i have been cutting. i don't think they are too affected by it.

Two of the best bucks taken on my property occured after late summer logging operations.  Tops with leaves still attached were attractive to the deer as easy browse and I suspect the frequent exposure to human scent from the loggers conditioned the deer to be somewhat less afraid of humans.