Can’t bring home food I paid for !?

Nomad

This is actually a bigger deal here then when it happened . I wasn’t  there and learned of it weeks after . Out of scores of retirement parties , weddings, sports banquets , Christmas parties this is my first encounter with this practice  .

I just got off the phone with a brother FF who’s dad owned a restaurant here for decades , my friend worked there since a kid then owned it for many years , they had a “ party room .” His first response was ,” never heard of such a thing , WTF would I do with left overs ?” 

“ I’ve run over a thousand parties , the food belongs to who hired me .”

Then when I told him the place, he said ,” I know him he’s sketchy as hell .” 

it seems to be a regional thing ,as it’s largely unheard of here 

This is actually a bigger deal here then when it happened . I wasn’t  there and learned of it weeks after . Out of scores of retirement parties , weddings, sports banquets , Christmas parties this is my first encounter with this practice  .
I just got off the phone with a brother FF who’s dad owned a restaurant here for decades , my friend worked there since a kid then owned it for many years , they had a “ party room .” His first response was ,” never heard of such a thing , WTF would I do with left overs ?” 

So you got F'ed! First time for everything!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks , I understand but no it doesn’t make sense  . Never in scores of retirement ,Christmas, private parties weddings and such have I once ran into this . It’s all been per person , with a head count needed prior . 
Being upfront about things and put it in writing would be nice no ? 

There is nothing to be upfront about. A per person fee is just that. A few for people to eat while at a venue, not a fee for you to feed your family for a week on a restaurants dime.

It seems to me like you are having a temper tantrum for no reason. As someone who has been in the industry for years I would never explain this to someone as it’s common sense. Your per person fee is not a charity to you.

This is not a regional thing. You are crying over nothing. You asked for something that did not belong to you and they said no.

That is the end of story here…. There is nothing more to it

• Haha 1

Well, as a former owner of a banquet facility, here is my perspective and what we did for all events.  You pay for the food to be given to your guests while at the event.  If someone “can’t finish” their plate, we would gladly box it up for them.  If a family of 6 didn’t show because of a sudden illness, we would box that up too.  

If it was a plated meal, the food left over in the kitchen belongs to the restaurant, and would be utilized in any way possible….next day special, made into soup, employee meals, etc.  If it was a buffet, our policy was to discard any food left out on the buffet line that had been partially eaten, and any full trays still in the kitchen or cooler, belonged to the restaurant, to be used as above.  We did donate to local food bank, so it was not wasted, but it was handled in a food safe manner from start to finish.   

I am not aware of any specific NYS laws other than the local Health Code, but food that has been out on a buffet or left to sit in someone’s car for who knows how long is not safe food to eat.  The restaurant does not need that liability.  That’ why you usually can’t bring your own food in either.  The facility needs to have control over preparation, storage and whatever happens to it after the party.  

When this was explained nicely we never had an issue with a customer being upset.  I don’t believe it is a regional thing either, I know several other owners with exact same policy.    Same goes with the “guaranteed count” policy.  We prepare for your count, if you go under that, you still pay for the guarantee, if you go over that number, you will be paying extra.   

• Like 7

There is nothing to be upfront about. A per person fee is just that. A few for people to eat while at a venue, not a fee for you to feed your family for a week on a restaurants dime.

It seems to me like you are having a temper tantrum for no reason. As someone who has been in the industry for years I would never explain this to someone as it’s common sense. Your per person fee is not a charity to you.

But I paid 60 per head for an open bar. I'm entitled to the cases of top shelf liquor that haven't been completely drained yet from the bottle!
  • Like 1

39 minutes ago, Marion said:

But I paid 60 per head for an open bar. I'm entitled to the cases of top shelf liquor that haven't been completely drained yet from the bottle! emoji849.png

If you weren't drinking Shirley temples all night there wouldn't be any bottles with left over booze.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2