Information from a DEC.officer

noodle one

Stopped in Dicks to pick up a few things I needed. As I waited to check out, a DEC officer (game warden) was right behind me. I asked if I could talk to him about a couple things and he said sure ,just as soon as we were done at the check out. I wanted to know about a few things when fishing the West Branch Delaware. I asked him if I could fish  beads and would it be legal to do so. When fishing beads the bead is placed 1 1/2 to 2" above a bear hook. He told me that he knew how beads were fished and that he himself would have no problem with it.,but he can not speak for other wardens.. He told me that New York state law stated that all fish have to be taken with a baited hook.. I then asked about about useing scented plastic baits in the artificial only. He told me that as long as it was artificial  ( scented or not) it was legal.

There's a lot of very understanding ECO's and Police Officer's out there that are not looking to bust balls about petty stuff, probably a lot more than one's looking to split hairs and dig for a violation...but, if you're walking the line of what may be considered illegal, I'd be careful.

the "he himself would have no problem with it", say's enough.....not every ECO has that same view................unless you're told outright it's legal, I'd be a little wary.

I can put a little yran or felt on the hook and I am legal

Isn't that what some call "lifting"?

It is my understanding that some get away with tipping their hook with a little piece of a plastic bait, but the foul hooking that happens often during this method is the most frowned upon part.

Isn't that what some call "lifting"?

It is my understanding that some get away with tipping their hook with a little piece of a plastic bait, but the foul hooking that happens often during this method is the most frowned upon part.

Nope...Trout strike the bead thinking it is a single egg and they are nearly always hooked in the mouth.

Lifting is intentional snatching with a single hook . It is often done by sight, although "blind lifting" occurs also.

In Alaska, snagging is illegal, but red salmon are routinely taken with a technique known as "lining" or "flossing".. It involes using a lure, most generally a yarn fly and intentionally drifting the lure so that the line enters the fish's mouth, and the hook follows. Most fish are hooked in the corner of the mouth, and it is perfectly legal, at least in Alaska.

Awe cool. Thanks Pygmy for shedding some light on that. It sounds like it would be pretty effective. 

I haven't been to the Delaware all year. Planning to go visit gramps in Deposit this weekend , but can't fish w/ a broken hand. I was heartbroke last year after a giant hook-jawed brown spit my hook.