Fenced food plot

My turnip plots were a big draw when I first started planting about 20 years ago. Over the years, the deer got educated and started devouring the seedlings when they got 4" tall, they would just wipe them out almost overnight. A couple of years ago I watched a video about putting up an electric fence around the plot. Two 1" ribbons run along side each other, 6' apart. 

I tried this last year. and I'm back in business. Deer stay out until I take it down prior to the season. 

I planted this plot 3 weeks ago. I know its a little early but its growing great.

2022 turnips.jpg

turnips 2022 2.jpg

• Like 4

Yeah, I tried everything. Scarecrows, lots of kids pin wheels stuck in the ground and even leaving a radio tuned onto a rap station. Nothing worked until I tried the fence.  It's a steep investment the first year, but the wallet feels better the next.

Corn & soybeans would be wiped out also. This works !!

The pigtail  posts are only 3' off the ground, nose high

It must be done when they start eating them early. I find the closer these plots are to bedding areas the harder they hit them earlier in their grow cycle. Also watch for your woodchucks, they can still get in and put a real hurting on your plot as well. 

I may have to break out my electric fence on a plot I have, last time i planted it with a fall blend the deer wiped it out quick. 

We tried a bunch of things around a pumpkin patch for years...fishing wire with pans or dryer sheets tied to them worked a bit until one section gave out and then it was the entrance and exit for all critters. Buddy went to electric this year so we shall see. Woodchucks are a problem still for sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk