got prepping started

Today I mowed plots...the two main clover...3rd time for one...HSG,the clover, rye and one of the pure rye plots...the rye was dried  to the edge of yellow...and I mulched it up well over the clovers...that should retain some moisture under  the next rain and the birds should find the seed well...The clover looks really good and will be great after a light frost seeding in late..late winter...the other pure rye will be disced ..fertilized and planted in braccs...expecting a volunteer crop of rye from the seeds I just dropped...dbl duty plots ...just a bunch of discing to do and fertilizing..a few areas to spray down...I'm slowly working plots over to perennials with just a couple of winter feed areas

I am as usual very impressed with the activity in the HSG mix...the only down side is it grows so thick and so fast that mowing is a must and it really works the engine and deck....you can hear it bogging down...and these are good sized JD lawn tractors with PTOS

• Like 1

sounds like a good setup you have there!  I finally got my clover, chickory and rye mix planted last weekend. I had a few soft spots but I had to get it in the ground. I am hoping the rye takes off so the weeds don't take over too bad. My grandfather sprayed the beans and corn and the beans are looking great. 

1374281547_zps8444f3f3.jpg

1374281546_zpsfd729761.jpg

• Like 1

Talk about nice set ups...Yours is great....I had wanted to disc and plant the clover / sainfoil and glad I didn't...the ground was bone dry...incline...and it just poured last night...every thing would have washed away...I will try this coming week since temps are going down and off again on again rain is due....Well that depends on the jury Duty...I'll be checking in shortly...

I forgot to replace the cam card after mowing so walked down through the area. ... Kicked out a rabbit ..20 ft...and a flock of turkey...by the way...not a single poult to be seen :( ....and the twin fawns...It hadn't been an hour and they were on the rye seed and the clovers...I apparently had also mixed some alfalfa in there too..noticed a lot of baby acorns on the ground so checked the trees...looking very good at least 6 of the mature reds have good crops...even with the drop ..... I know where I'll be hunting in the early season...Looks like I know where one new stand is going for the bow season..then will move later for the gun.

Today was a busy day ...I disced and dragged three plots...then planted sainfiol and clover in half of one and tall tine turnips with a little hog radish in the other half...then I planted mainly
HR  with a little turnips in the other two...I have a tiny little walk way the will go in rye and turnips later.....Thats a relief I have to go to the city for a DR apt. ...so I'll hit gander on the way home might just by the canoe and carrier then at well and pick up some max attract...we'll see

I still have two plots to disc and drag on top and 3 in the lower fields/woods to do as well...but going with grain in 2 and turnips in the other three

Phew..... landtrac...I get that feeling a lot...lol....The farmers came up and finished harvesting the rest of the chopped oats/clover...truck after truck after truck load...had a 4 point  doe and twins walk out of the field down to our woods..half hour later just at dark the doe and 4pt trotted past the porch headed to the power plant across the street...the fawns were good sized I was surprised she left them to fend for them selves at night instead of feeding with them...Cool weather has everything moving...had 12 deer stop my car on the way to the city yesterday at 8 am...all different spots and I nearly hit 4 of them...and 2 on the way home...

Well Gotta run...fertilizing before rains hit and a couple of plots to get disced up...tons of blueberries  and peas to pick...still picking spring peas in late July..that's a first...

I diced the area for the turnips...and the powerplant in that area is turning yellow and not growing too tall...the regular corn next to it though sparse due to the wire worms is coming along well and green...The beans in the power plant look pretty good but not dark green....I'm thinking low iron do to the rains?.....fertilizing the area in a little bit...clover 10-20-20 and the turnip area 15-15-15...may hit the power plant with that as well and some milorganite...

All fertilizing is done gardens all planted and future plots...I have one new plot partially disced and need to lime but soil is hard and I need to let the rains soak into what I broke open...It's the old goat paddock...I noticed the deer liked to bed there last year when I removed the fencing...so I'll see about getting something planted in there this month...maybe max-attract....I am going heavy with the lime..the soil is very sandy...Ooppps I hear thunder and the tractors out gotta run......