Remington 870 12 gauge question

Hey guys, I am new to the forum and appreciate any and all help. The current posts are great, ton of priceless info.

I would like to put a sling on my 870 and do not see pre-drilled eyelits or holes for a sling. Can anyone help, its such a popular gun I figure there must be a quick easy solution. Thanks!!

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/BLACKHAWK-Swivel-Kit-11Z724?gclid=CJ-2reiAy7gCFQyk4AodjRUAew&cm_mmc=PPC:GooglePLA-_-Security-_-Security%20Management%20and%20Law%20Enforcement-_-11Z724&ci_src=17588969&ci_sku=11Z724&ef_id=UZZn2AAAAcKxDQT9:20130725155510:s

Need something like this. If the gun alraedy has the studs then you only need to by a set of swivels. Gander, dicks and even Walmart would have the swivels.

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club
  • Like 1

Midway and several places on line have them. cover the place you will drill with masking tape, mark the location and use a high quality (sharp) drill of the correct size.

This style bit works best becasue the tip holds it on center and the tips on the edge of the bit reduce the amount of splintering on the hole edges.

http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/tools/Drills-Drivers-Bits/Bits-Woodworking/woodboring-drill-bits-irwin-49615?utm_source=biz_shop&utm_medium=shp&utm_term=B225791&utm_campaign=Bits-Woodworking-biz_shop&infoParam.campaignId=WZ

Good Luck.

• Like 1

Another tip...If you have a variable speed drill, start the hole in the buttstock at a low speed to help avoid splintering..

I did several 1100's and a Browning A-5 and all turned out well..Just take your time and you'll be fine.

• Like 1

Can anyone suggest slugs that I can use for my Remington 870. This will be my first year with the rifled barrel and am curious what is best to sight my shotgun in and also to deer hunt with. I was told the Sabot rounds are the best to deer hunt with but was also curious if this was true for sighting in as well and if that was true in general. Thanks!

Best bet is to try a few different types to see which shoots best in your gun. Draw back to that is the sticker shock from the price of the sabots. They aren't cheap!!! What ever you end up siting in with is what you should hunt with. Different brands and different weight slugs will not shoot to the same point of impact. Mind if I ask what you normal hunting shot will be where you hunt?

Buy a box of the Breneke KO's and try them. I have seen them shoot well and not very well. depends on the gun. But at $6-$7 for a box of 5 it is worth a try. They will perform well at the ranges you stated if they hold a group well. WOrth a shot before you jump up to the more expensive sabots.

When I carry my shotgun this is what I use. They shoot very well for me in my 11-87 but hey ar $16-$18 a box of 5

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Federal-Premium-Vital-Shok-Barnes-Expander-Sabot-Slug-12ga-3in-3/4oz-Ammo&i=443286

For ranges of 100 yards or less, I have had excellent performance and accuracy in my Rem rifled 12 gauge barrel with Winchester Standard Velocity BRI sabot slugs.

They shoot little bitty groups in my gun and kill well..I have only recovered 1 slug from perhaps 20 deer...

They also kick significantly less than many of the high performance slugs that are currently available.

They are not a long range item..They drop like a rock beyond 100 yards. However, at woods ranges they are very accurate and very effective, and they cost a lot less than many of the slugs available today.