Looking for a backpack

Look these up and see which one fits what you need. Obviously it depends on your uses... Time length spent in the woods, if you carry in. Climber on your back I like the Alps bag. All very affordable and seem like they will work. Hope this helps. I was in search of buying some new gear as I plan on making a 2 day camping/hunting trippost-3319-13748781109519_thumb.jpgpost-3319-1374878119461_thumb.jpgpost-3319-13748781282683_thumb.jpg

Hunting3m,

I was in the Monroe-Harriman Walmart this evening.  Only a couple options in stock, unless you like pink trim.  The currently stocked ones only have thin 1" waist belt, no padded wings.  They may be ok if not carrying anything heavy in it for a long time.

They are stocking up on the camo clothing if need to get some.  I like the moisture-wicking, scent-free long sleeve camo on warm days and use it as a base layer on cooler days when I know I will be moving around alot.

Have not be in the Middletown Walmart in months, so not sure what they have there, as the stock does vary store to store.

If you want to try before you buy, see what Dick's has in stock.  Otherwise, some of the ones Cusehunter found on Amazon look good.  May have to convince your dad to order it for you if you go that route.

Use to have the same belt problem.  Had to get a smaller belt on an external frame pack when went backpacking at your age - no such need now.  Waist is 8" bigger now.

My son is about your age and goes to M-W High.  Not sure if you are in my part of the county or not, or would even know him.  But it is good to know that there are still some youth here that keep up the hunting traditions and enjoy the outdoors in this county.

Yeah thanks for all the help guys! i am going to wait some time and see whats out there. I don't want to order anything because they may be too big waist belts and too small of packs. When the time and price is right il let you guys know my choice. 

Hunting3m,

I was in the Monroe-Harriman Walmart this evening.  Only a couple options in stock, unless you like pink trim.  The currently stocked ones only have thin 1" waist belt, no padded wings.  They may be ok if not carrying anything heavy in it for a long time.

They are stocking up on the camo clothing if need to get some.  I like the moisture-wicking, scent-free long sleeve camo on warm days and use it as a base layer on cooler days when I know I will be moving around alot.

Have not be in the Middletown Walmart in months, so not sure what they have there, as the stock does vary store to store.

If you want to try before you buy, see what Dick's has in stock.  Otherwise, some of the ones Cusehunter found on Amazon look good.  May have to convince your dad to order it for you if you go that route.

Use to have the same belt problem.  Had to get a smaller belt on an external frame pack when went backpacking at your age - no such need now.  Waist is 8" bigger now.

My son is about your age and goes to M-W High.  Not sure if you are in my part of the county or not, or would even know him.  But it is good to know that there are still some youth here that keep up the hunting traditions and enjoy the outdoors in this county.

I am in Warwick high school but i play roller hockey in Monroe. With my luck the Walmart in middle town is surprisingly low on outdoors equipment. I really like a thin rain and wind proof outer layer most season and i usually stack up on inner layers to keep warm. The only problem with that is the thin outer layer tends to make a large amount of noise against trees and other stuff. 

Try a PVC rainsuit in the heavy rain with the hood up - couldn't hear anything but rain bouncing off of me. I wear a quiet jacket and a carry a rain poncho incase it does start to come down.  If it looks bad, I don't go out until it lightens' up. Never see any game moving on all day rain hunt yet except ducks.  May want to scotch-guard the pack to make it water resistant in bad weather.

Packs are a personal thing.  Fit varies with design and the wearers body type.  You still have 2 months to get what you need before getting desperate.

My day pack for hiking I settled on - fit is good and carry either water bottles on outside or a water bladder on the inside.  Just can't carry everything I want in it for cooler weather.

Get something with a little more space than you think you need.

I have a badlands super day pack and I love it. Tons of pockets for everything and very comfy to wear all day. I've used it for back country elk and sheep guiding. And the best part is they have a lifetime garuntee. If you ever destroy it (no matter what caused it. Could be your dog chewed it up) they will replace it for free!! The packs are a little pricy but not terrible but very high quality and for the lifetime garuntee I think its worth every penny!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

• 1 month later...

Have allways used a fanny pack w/ one lg compartment in the center , and smaller ones toward the sides. Don't get carried away with brining too much stuff, have what you need for hunting , light first aid, and a poss stay overnight.