Scent

Doc

As hunters, we all understand the importance of scent in our success or failure in deer hunting. I dare say it might be the most important aspect of our hunt. And yet, almost everything of importance about scent is still unknown and/or unreported. Why is that???

There are a series of scent related questions that I frequently post on many different forums, and without exception, they always go unanswered. And now it is time to ask them again in hopes that someone has found a study or article that has the answers.

First of all, when we are sitting in our stand and that one errant breeze blows our scent right toward the trail we are watching (even if only for a few seconds), has the brush, twigs, goldenrod and other items along that trail been contaminated for some period of time by the scent molecules adhering to them? We know our foot prints can leave a scent trail that lasts for a long time. We know that when we brush against limbs and such, we leave scent behind that animals can smell some time later. So when you get that occasional back-breeze, is it contaminating the hunting site? And if so - for how long?

Second, how far in a dense thicket will scent travel? I guess we know that scent molecules stick to things as it travels along. What is the effect of dense brush on the distance that scent will travel vs. the same scent broadcast over an open field?

Third, what is the actual composition and chemical make-up of scent? How does it travel? Does it eventually thin out to a point where it disappears? If so, how quickly? Is it lighter or heavier than air? What makes it stick to things? How long does it stay stuck to things? Is it a solid or a gas? What the heck is it? We all spend a whole lot of time and money combatting scent and most of us don't even know what the heck it really is.

Fourth, what are all the effects of atmospheric conditions and weather variations on the movement and duration of scent. High winds, damp conditions, dead calm conditions, atmospheric pressure, rain, snow, how does all that effect the movement and concentration of scent? Has anyone ever seen a detailed documentation on the subject?

Fifth, has there ever been studies that try to answer some of these questions and actually reach a scientific understanding of the true nature of scent? If so, how come nobody publishes the results. Why do we have manufacturers of supposedly scent blocking clothing and yet no publicly available documentation of the physics and chemistry of scent? We have scent distributers who you would think should have some kind of intensive background in what scent is and how it all functions, and yet no real articles on the nature of their product as far as how it works. We have people that will tell us about how a buck can scent trail a doe hours after she has come and gone, and yet no one explains the mechanics of how that is possible. So many people making their living from scent products or scent suppression and yet they keep whatever information they have about scent a carefully guarded secret. I have sat in a treestand watching my breath on a cold morning all of a sudden take a bad turn toward the trail and wonder how much of that is sticking to the grasses and brush along the trail. How come I have never read anything anywhere that either says, don't worry about it, or hang it up, you might as well leave? How come I know that scent can be a hunt-killer, but I don't know the first thing about the nature of the scent itself.

So, the real question is, has anyone ever seen an in depth article or scientific study regarding the actual properties and expected movements of scent? Maybe I just don't know where to look.

Doc

So, none of the hunters on this site know anything about scent? You don't know what it is? You don't know how it reacts with terrain or brush. You don't know how long it lasts. You don't know how the weather affects it.

But we all understand that it is one of the most important things relative to the success or failure of the hunt.

How can that be?

Doc

To be honest, I don't know.  All I do know is I try to practice good scent control with bagging my hunting clothes, washing in scent killer, and spraying coversent / scent killed on myself before I head out to the woods :(  I'd like to learn more though.

In the past, I (as well as other members) have provided various "in depth articles and scientific studies" on other topics just to have you (Doc) dismiss them in one way or another. :-(  To continue such cycle with you would be foolish, but will be willing to read any current studies you have already researched if willing to post them.

In the past, I (as well as other members) have provided various "in depth articles and scientific studies" on other topics just to have you (Doc) dismiss them in one way or another. :-(  To continue such cycle with you would be foolish, but will be willing to read any current studies you have already researched if willing to post them.

In other words, you don't have a clue either. That's alright ..... I think we're all pretty darn ignorant on the subject. That's why I started this topic.

Look, such an understanding of the nature of scent is not just for my benefit. I would think that all hunters would want to know as much about the subject as possible. I would imagine that you all have had the wind switch up on you for a few minutes. Hasn't it ever peaked your curiosity even a little bit as to what potential damage that little blast of scent in an inconvenient direction was actually doing to your hunt. Has no one other than myself ever wondered what makes scent stick to things on the ground and vegetation, and just how long it actually stays there. Have none of you ever wondered just how far scent will go in extremely dense thickets. The effect of scent on hunting, makes me wonder why I am the only one who ever asks these questions about a subject so basic to hunting.

What I was really hoping was that someone may have run across articles written by scent manufacturers or some of these other people who are in the business of selling scent-reduction products. If you haven't, that's alright. I haven't either.

Doc