Thoughts?????

njg0621

Culvercreek hunt club - I 100% agree with you.  This town needs to fund it's own solution.  You and I don't need to pay for it!!!

I think the article says that the HSUS is contributing $30,000 or something like that? If this goes through and succeeds,it will set a precedent in other areas and become an excuse for the HSUS to solicit even more donations and generate more publicity for itself and birth control.

This is developing into a partnership between the town, the hsus, the dec, and Tuffs University. Partnerships are not unusual at all and are very, very common in natural resource management. Furthermore, this would be part of the DEC's statuatory mandates. The DEC might decide the use of birth control is not a sound idea, however.

If the DEC decided to have anything to do with controlling the reproduction of whitetails as a means of population control it would solidify my opinion that they do not really care about the conservation of whitetails.. and are just puppets carrying out the will of people that have no idea what they are doing. I can't believe that any legit biologist would think birth control is a good idea... if so I challenge his/her credibility.

I see some these deer everyday along the Saw Mill River Parkway on my way to work.  There is some local park land in the area.

I think they should set up a one-time hunt over bait in several locations and have local hunters reduce the population after closing the park land to the public temporarily.  Perhaps even shut down the Saw Mill River Parkway and have bow hunters in the woodlands surrounding the Saw Mill.

If that is not enough to make a difference, then consider entertaining the deer vaccination option.

If the problem was wild cattle running around eating everything, bet some of these people would still be opposed to killing some of them.  Yet they run out to grocery store and buy their slaughterhouse sirloin steaks to grill in their back yard.

If the DEC decided to have anything to do with controlling the reproduction of whitetails as a means of population control it would solidify my opinion that they do not really care about the conservation of whitetails.. and are just puppets carrying out the will of people that have no idea what they are doing. I can't believe that any legit biologist would think birth control is a good idea... if so I challenge his/her credibility.

I don't believe this can move forward without approval from the DEC. Whether it will be approved or not is a different story.  Don't quote me on this, but I think I remember that about a decade ago birth control was used in New York to contain raccoon rabies and that effort was also sponsored by the Humane Society.

Edited by mike rossi

• 2 weeks later...

i think the stat is that an unmanaged deer population will double in just 2 or 3 years? there is obviously a limit as food and shelter are finite resources. As much as the show "Chaising Tail" bothered me, they have the right idea.

introducing man-made solutions like birth control doesn't sit very well with me.

Me either

What an amazingly labor intensive way to solve a problem that could be handled for free.

AMEN!!!