Tag exchange

Slugger09

wow its true?

as far as bigger bucks in the years to come with the deer take going to be essentially lower, id say some extremely big deer will begin to hit the ground over the next few years and more of them. i mean there are a ton of guys out here that do a lot of poaching unfortunately and take way more then the legal share. "oh i shot 8 bucks on LI this past season" well you can not do that legally and there is a lot of guys i talk to who say stuff like that.

but we shall see john, with a decrease in tags will come an increase in deer which is NOT what this island needs so i doubt it will stick for seasons to come.

Geno, read post #45

http://huntingny.com/forums/index.php?/topic/17737-Today-8/12/2013-DMP's-are-available...-Did-you-get-your-area?/page__view__findpost__p__226776

I was going to get you involved, but the issue resolved itself.

Edited by shawnhu

My personal opinion it will reduce the number of deer taken, many guys on long island "trophy hunt" and only shoot does to get the either sex tag, from the beginning of the season you can already have 4 doe tags for 1C, why would you need to exchange it for another doe tag?

There are  plenty of quality bucks on long island, and yes on Public Land (participation isn't what it was 15 yrs ago many of the XBox generation don't hunt) and many bucks are shot during the Jan shotgun season after they have shed, i've seen shed bucks that were 150lbs dressed out in Jan with bases the size of soda cans. I have a good buddy that hunts LI practically everyday and drops some very impressive deer, he even said this year he will shoot an 8pt and then wait for something really big. so that's it 2 deer for a guy that usually takes 3-4 bucks and 1-2 does a year.

the way guys would take so many bucks in years past was

2 buck tags to start

3-4 doe tags

shoot 2 bucks

shoot a doe

shoot another buck (burn tag)

shoot a does

shoot a buck (burn tag)

shoot a doe

shoot a buck (burn tag)

so legally that was 5 bucks and 3 does ( 8 legal deer )

Technically, I think the max bucks per year in LI was

2 either sex

1 buck

4 DMP that can each earn a buck

That's 7 potential bucks already plus 4 does.

Then there's the DMP that can be transferred, so that's 2 more, making it 6 does and 9 bucks.

Can someone confirm?

in years past you could shoot a buck with

a Bow tag

a Regular season Tag

you can have 4 1C DMP permits (each of which would be granted a either sex tag for a successful doe harvest)

so to do the math (hypothetical)

Bow Tag (Buck)

Reg Season Tag (Buck)

1 DOE (DMP granted either sex tag)

1 Buck

1 Buck

1 Buck

1 Buck

out of tags

6 bucks, 4 doe (however if you didn't shoot bucks you could take 50 does)

I for one will not be shooting a doe on LI anymore I fill the freezer enough with bucks and a doe with no bonus tag is not worth the work gut, butcher etc....

I have a feeling this change in bonus tags is temporary and won't last more than a couple years, if that. DEC will see the numbers and the impact of this change and will revert back.

I agree Shawnhu. You hear about some guys shooting 5 or 6 bucks with the bonus tag program, but I wonder how many guys actually do this. When u account for the does too, that is a lot of processing work. For me personally, I liked taking 1 doe so I could get 1 bonus buck tag. And that was it. Most yrs, my bonus buck tag never even gets used. I know we have a lot of big bucks on the island, but for me anyway shooting a big one is still real challenging.