Broome County Upland/Duck Hunting Areas?

Diogenes

Hi all! I'm ne to the HuntingNY forums. I have a question and I'd apreciate if anyone can give me some advice.

I'm Currently a student at SUNY Binghamton. I live in the actual city of Binghamton (scary place)  :fie:.

I don't go to the bars a lot and I'm terrible at picking up girls, so I'd figure I might as well go hunting on the weekends in October and get the most out of the Lifetime Hunting License I just bought.
I do most of my hunting in Orange county. Where are the spots for upland/duck hunting in Broome? I'v looked at the DEC site, but I've only found some basic info.
I'm looking for public land about an hour away from where I am, Cortland is just 45min away and Whitney Point is a good 25-30min. I've visited Whitney Point once or twice to go fishing in the spring. I hear they stock pheasants there.
I know there are some federal lands nearby, but I would not meet their strict requirements.
I also hear there are some spots along the Susquehanna, but I'd figure it would be too deep to retrieve my ducks, since I don't have a dog.
I'm still very new to hunting as I just started last season, my dad has taught my most of the basics.

Any info would greatly be appreciated.

I live in the actual city of Binghamton (scary place)  :fie:.

You don't need to tell me that, I work there and live in a neighboring village. Are you in campus housing or do you rent from a private owner? Our company manages many student rentals in Bingo.

Yes the city is a rough place, just listen to the police scanner on a Fri./Sat. night. It's crazy! All the more reason as to why I keep my gun rack on the wall next to my bed. Hopefully the new mayor will clean the city up.

Good luck on your search of hunting places. I don't hunt many birds other than turkeys anymore. I remember a grouse/pheasant hunting area on some statelands somewhere between Lisle and Dryden, It might be Beaver Dam state forest. Not sure if they still stock pheasants in Upper Lisle.

if you can get in touch with some farmers in Newark Valley area they may let you hunt the land for ducks along the west branch of Owego Creek. I ahve thought about going out behind my place for some but only ever see 1 or 2 hanging out in the corner. always see them flying over the area and coming down in the creek..