Deer regs decisions coming

SteveB

I think NY has some great whitetail habitat

NYS habitat is in decline as old farmland brush-lots mature into full-growth over-story. Some places worse than other places. Yes, there is still some excellent habitat, but we are losing it at an alarming rate, and there are increasingly more places that used to be prime deer hunting area that are either being eaten up by development, posted out of accessible reach, leased and under-hunted, or simply maturing beyond usefulness for deer habitat.

• Like 1

......The difference is that they regulate how many hunters and tags are designated per unit based on proper deer ratios and herd health...... 

Just a point of curiosity, but do they really regulate how many hunters that can hunt in a designated unit? Is there some kind of lottery system that required for hunters to be able to hunt in certain WMUs? I'm not familiar with the regulations of those states, so I really don't understand how they accomplish hunter number regulation.

not everyone who does not get a deer is unhappy.  Hell if they were, they would stop hunting. Once people get the idea it is not all about killing something, the better off we will be in the hunting sport.  Why on earth people think they need to have 4 dmp a buck tag archery/ml tags and expect to fill them all other than bragging rights the quantity of deer they killed.  Then come on a site like this and complaint not seeing deer.  I have to say that anyone who justifies this with the old I need it to feed my family, I do not buy.  Take the money you spend on equipment licenses gas and all other to hunt and buy food.  Would you starve if you do not get 5 or 6 deer in a season?  if so look at the budget and fix that.  My morning rant now I am going hunting.

oops was supposed to quote beachpazz about unhappy hunters

I'm with you Bubba, We have turned hunting into all about numbers. The more deer we shoot the better our season. I hunt NY by my camp because I love getting away and the woods in the Catskills. If I had to shoot a deer to enjoy my hunt I would be pretty grumpy up there.  B)

not everyone who does not get a deer is unhappy. Hell if they were, they would stop hunting. Once people get the idea it is not all about killing something, the better off we will be in the hunting sport. Why on earth people think they need to have 4 dmp a buck tag archery/ml tags and expect to fill them all other than bragging rights the quantity of deer they killed. Then come on a site like this and complaint not seeing deer. I have to say that anyone who justifies this with the old I need it to feed my family, I do not buy. Take the money you spend on equipment licenses gas and all other to hunt and buy food. Would you starve if you do not get 5 or 6 deer in a season? if so look at the budget and fix that. My morning rant now I am going hunting.

oops was supposed to quote beachpazz about unhappy hunters

Totally Agree. I love just being in the woods. Even better to see fox, owls, piliated woodpeckers etc. I pass on more doe and small bucks them I can count. It's never the numbers for me. It's the story behind the hunt that I love.

• Like 2

Count me in, I go up to my brother's in Erie Cty to see my brother and spend some time with them. My other brothers think I'm nuts to drive 7 1/2 hours to hunt when I have a club 3 hours away. I've had years where I just watch the deer and let them pass. My brother gets a license every year and lets them walk by. This year he let a 4,6 and something bigger plus some does just walk by. I could go up muzzleloader but my chest freezer croaked and I'm not going to shoot something that I can't keep and eat. So be it. I'm just happy to be able to do this.