wearing glasses while hunting

joesnextoy

ok this is my first year hunting bow

looks like right now I'll be ground hunting due to I have no access to private lands so no tree stand for me

I wear prescription glasses which I'm thinking is not gunna help me if a deer see a glare off of them

so what can I do to avoid any prob while wearing the glasses

thank for any input

I also wear glasses--they definately cause some issues, but if you think about it, you don't really have any choice unless you can afford contacs.  While the glare from glasses does have the potential to spook deer, its not really something you have much control over, so the best thing to do is just forget about it. A hat brim is about the only thing that may help, but only at certain times.   I'm 62 and have worn glasses for most of my hunting life and can't say that I'm aware of any deer spooking from the glare of my glasses. Its possible it has scared some off that I'm unaware of, but its something I can't control so I don't worry about it.  I find the fog that develops on my glasses when the weather gets cold to be a much bigger issue.  Any hike or walk into a stand that causes prespiration fogs up my glasses when the weather gets cooler.  It also inhibits the use of headnets as my breath inevitably wants to remain inside the camo netting and it fogs up my glasses.  Camo face paint works much better for people with glasses. 

Lou

I agree Eagle, not really much you can do about it. I do have transitions but don't see where that'd do much about glare.   I also have much more problem with fogging.  Someone (here I *think*) suggested using the scuba antifog gel.  I was going to get some and ask my eye dr about it but given that yahoos from Westchester invaded where I hunt, I haven't the need this year. :( 

It's worth investigating in the future though.

Last yr I got glasses but didn't hunt with them. Now im so use to them they are a must. This yr I had to learn how to shoot with them. With a little adjustment im good to go. I think you will be fine. I have an eye doc appt sat and will be exploring contacts then. My biggest issue afield is seeing deer far off, I have to slide my glasses on top of my head to look thru my bino's then slide my glasses back on. Its to much movement.

Zag,  I hear ya about the issue with binocs.  My hunting binocs have a rubber piece on each eyepiece that turns in or out that's supposed to make them work with glasses.  About the only effective thing I found was to spend time with the binocs and get a system worked out that works for you. A pita but me taking my glasses off isn't an option. And contacts aren't either.

Edited by SteveC

I hate wearing my contacts as they make my eyes sensitive. I wore them all the time in the past from playing sports year round in high school but now that I am in college I find myself wearing glasses 90% of the time. Now that hunting season is here I went back to contacts because I hate the fogging up I get from the cold or face mask. Also when it rains, it is annoying and blurs my vison. So I wear contacts wen possible

If you do decide in trying contacts, talk to your eye doctor. Most people don't like wearing them and decide it's not for them. They always have a free trial pair you can get and use. If you decide you like em, go online and buy them as they are 10x's cheaper there. I only pay like $20 a box of 6 or 8 per box (can't remember which) online using promotion codes when they are available on some sites. My eye place sells the same box for around $40 each

I don't know how common this is but just fyi;  my wife used to wear contacts before her lasix surgery and almost lost sight in one of her eyes.  She was using those extended wear ones that you leave in for 30 days or something and she got a detached retina somehow due to leaving them in.  I don't recall the specifics but probably worth asking your optometrist about if you're considering them. 

• Like 1

I wear my contacts ALL the time while hunting. I forgot one time, and learned my lesson! The biggest problem have with wearing my glasses hunting is because of them fogging up. I hit a doe a couple years ago and she ran into a nasty thicket. I started tracking and my glasses fogged up terribly!! The blood trail wasn't great anyway and the glasses were so fogged up, I couldn't see anything! Had to take my glasses off and had one hell of a time tracking! Hands and knees!! NOT FUN!! Then, I got so deep into the thicket, without my glasses I couldn't see tall landmarks in the distance either, so I had a hard time finding my way back out! Lesson learned!!

• Like 1

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who has tried the anti fogging products on the market.  Apoallo, let us know what you find out.  I just don't want to spend a cent on products that don't work.  Too many things competing for the dollars I earn.  Now that I'm older, I wear bifocals.  When I first started using them from a treestand I found it difficult to focus and it took me half a season to realize it was because I was often looking through the bifocal and not the upper part of my lenses.  I don't like heights either so the blurred vision was making me even more uneasy, especially when I stood up.  Though it hasn't happend yet, it may also be an issue if a deer is very close, under my stand.  I also find that I have to keep my glasses pressed tight to the bridge of my nose or my sight picture is blurry when I shoot.  So all you folks out there that don't wear glasses, be thankful and protect your assets.  One advantage of glasses--they protect your eyes when walking to and from the stand in the dark.  There have been lots of times I have been smacked in the face in the dark and the glasses protected my eyes (I prefer not to use a flashlight if I don't have to).

Edited by EagleCrag

I tried some anti-fogging stuff (can't recall the name) several years ago. My glasses didn't technically fog, but instead water droplets seemed to form all over my glasses, so I still couldn't see anything... 

If you find anything that really works, please post it up and give a report!

When I had a motorcycle, I tried a lot of the home remedies for anti foggin. Like spitting on the face shield, rubbing dish soap on it... They both didn't work.

Spot and fish soap will cut grime away, it'll work when still wet, but once it dries, you're worse off. Shaving creme works best as a home remedy.

X-Calibur Lighting Systems

http://facebook.com/XCaliburLightingSystems