bucks acting stupid

fearthebeard

Gonna have to because the wind they are calling for, and the stand im planning to hunt...the wind is OK. Its not perfect but its better than it has been. So hopefully between that and some scentwicks itll blow over to em and maybe send one out to investigate!

• Like 1

I have said this before... do you think if a buck is thinking about getting some sex and the scent of ready and willing doe wafes across their nose... do they look at the calendar to see if it's too early. I say No they don't.

Obviously it wouldn't work in the Spring or Summer of the year but it is getting to the time when a doe could come into heat so I think it very well could draw in a buck, any buck for that matter. I do think it will scare off any doe from the area but if you are hunting for a buck try it now.

The rut won't kick in in the southern zone for at least 2 weeks.  When I start to see the deer chasing after one another, then I start with a light dragline of tinks.  You really know when it's the heavy rut cause there are tons of dead deer on the highways.  Normally we'll see one or two, but when you start to see 8 or 9, you know they're getting pretty stupid.

The rut won't kick in in the southern zone for at least 2 weeks.  When I start to see the deer chasing after one another, then I start with a light dragline of tinks.  You really know when it's the heavy rut cause there are tons of dead deer on the highways.  Normally we'll see one or two, but when you start to see 8 or 9, you know they're getting pretty stupid.

i was scouting and did some light ratling and a buck came straight for me even saw me and still kept running 

Might have to give a light tap on the horns myself tomorrow.  A light grunt and light rattling could bring them around for curiousity, specially since we set up some mock scrapes in the area.  But I won't use the scents or bleats till full rutting.

Had a few youngsters doing some chasing and soft grunting last weekend. Generally the big boys are at least two weeks away from their chase phase or getting "stupid" from my experience over the years. I think we're still a week away from seeing the daylight activity out of the big guys dramatically increase. There is still not much pattern to them right now, other then ranging from 12 to 5 am on my cams. Who knows, its different in each part of the state though.

This evening I had a young 4 point about 40 yards away doing a scrape. He got about 10 yards from my doe pee wick started huffing and puffing. Turned around and ran back to area he came from. Ran back near pee wick huffed and puffed. Did this for good half hour than walked away. I let out a few bleats Idk half hour before he came in sight. He didn't give me a chance to shoot cuz he ran like a nut. This morn I had a monster 8 point that got in range and I blew it. Didn't end up firing. Anyway the monster didn't even notice the doe pee. I think it was cause he was upwind of them. I may try an estours drag in the morn.