rabbit hunting

Dom

were did they go when i started hunting there were rabbits all over now seams they have vanished the way turkeys did several years back  maybe someone knows were i might hunt them I in dutchess county so near by would be better for me

I think rabbits like other small game populations kind of go in cycles. Diseases and growing numbers of predators all impact those cycles.

Here is something that I have wondered about. Hawks are totally protected as are all of the birds of prey, and it seems to me that every year there are more and more of them. Have they gotten to the level where they are impacting the cycles of small game. I know that rabbits are pretty much a delicacy for hawks, and it would stand to reason that a higher hawk population might be a reason for the rabbits to stay on a permanent low part of what would normally be the typical cycles.

I have also wondered if hawks might also be impacting grouse populations as well. I'm sure they can easily catch them.

Doc

I think rabbits like other small game populations kind of go in cycles. Diseases and growing numbers of predators all impact those cycles.

Here is something that I have wondered about. Hawks are totally protected as are all of the birds of prey, and it seems to me that every year there are more and more of them. Have they gotten to the level where they are impacting the cycles of small game. I know that rabbits are pretty much a delicacy for hawks, and it would stand to reason that a higher hawk population might be a reason for the rabbits to stay on a permanent low part of what would normally be the typical cycles.

I have also wondered if hawks might also be impacting grouse populations as well. I'm sure they can easily catch them.

Doc

Iam more prone to believe there are cycles in small game populations.If it were true with coyotes and hawks being the cause of low small game populations then my area would be void of small game as we have  high populations of coyote, fox and hawks and contrary the rabbits and grouse populations in my area continue to rise.

@ DOC..

i believe the same thing as far as cycles..

i think the weather patterns may even play a role aside form predator.

btw.. I just got home from upstate earlier today and saw a red tailed hawk circling and circling the air above the house..  .. for a few minutes...

then i realized it..

my girl has a small dog , a tea cup yorkie.. its all of 5 lbs.. and she was running around the back yard ...

talk about a birds eye view ... (Lunch)

that woulda cost me alt of money to replace that dog.. lol

now back to rabbits...

i must be the most unsuccesful rabbit hunter on this earth..

ive gone small gaming about 10000 times.. never was i able to bag a rabbit....

ive tried with shotgun and .22

nothing..

ive only shot a few from the patio while enjoying my morning coffe..

dom. i got a spot in sterling where i saw a ton of rabbits.. thick thick brush , only catch is alot of ticks ... i had them crawling all over me..

message me for the info if ya want to go