Little secret from one archer to another

TreeGuy

I always see posts about blood trails and pics of blood and or lost deer etc... I rarely hear about hair though. With most of us shooting high speed bows it is sometimes hard to " push " your arrow and know exactly where u hit, and knowing that is the start on deciding how to start tracking if other signs aren't obvious. I find the hair to be one of the best definers of shot placement. So, my father and I decided we would take samples off a deer we killed and make a book. Its about 20 pages back and front and is only 2"x2" in size held together by a large keychain type loop. All the hair samples ie shoulder, brisket, front leg, hind quarter, spine etc are all labeled and laminated. It is an extremely helpful tool in the field and we compare hair from the arrow or area almost every time we stick something. You might be surprised hos different the hairs are from different areas, thickness, tip color, bent, wavey etc. Just something cheap and quick but can save u some time, or a mistake in the woods. Just wanted to throw it out there for what its worth.

• Like 6

This is a really good tip Treeguy!

I met a deer search tracker a few years ago who carried "swatches" of hair patches just as you described. She basicly narrowed down my hit to within a few inch section on the deer. It was crazy what appeared to me to be a "perfect vital hit" had turned out to be low and likely hit the opposite leg.

All hair evidence collected right at the point of impact!

I haven't made my own example yet, but I do pay more attention to hair at the site now.