Clifton Park - Shotgun Only???

jbitter001

Someone told me the other day that Clifton Park is shotgun only.  I looked on DEC site and there is nothing, I looked on Clifton Park town site and they have restrictions on where you can shoot a center fire gun, but nothing regarding shotgun only.  Can anyone verify or deny this information?

Thanks and good luck out there this weekend in the southern zone.

This article shall be known and may be cited as the "Firearms Ordinance of the Town of Clifton Park."

§ 108-2 Definitions.

As used in this article, the following words shall have the meanings indicated:

FIREARMS It shall be illegal within the eastern corridor of the Town of Clifton Park, defined herein as all portions of the Town of Clifton Park east of Vischer Ferry Road, Route 146A north from intersection of Routes 146 and 146A — Extended to MacElroy Road to Hatlee Road to the Town Line to discharge any 22 caliber and/or center fire rifle. In all portions of the Town of Clifton Park west of Vischer Ferry Road-Extended, twenty-two caliber rifles, other than center fire rifles, may be discharged by any individual, provided that the discharge takes place by an individual within the boundaries of his or her own property. In addition, an individual accompanied by the owner of said property may also discharge the weapon within the boundaries of the owner's property.     http://ecode360.com/6712166#./6712167?&_suid=1384285203486013945308667669126

Yeah, that is the ordinance that I read.  Luckily I am west of the line so I can shoot a rifle (if I am reading it right).  Just seems weird that there is nothing in DEC's site since I'm assuming that they would be the ones enforcing the law.

Thank you for posting this.

better re read that. Reads to me like not center fire rifles in Clifton park at all. 22 rim fire to the west but only if you own land or are with the land owner.

been a long time since I drove he roads in that area. I m not sure if there is an area not included by those two descriptions but if you read all the info onthe link it appears Clifton Park is shotgun only (or pistol)

Edited by Culvercreek hunt club

I live just north of Clifton Park and I also called them to ask the same question last year and I was told shotgun only.  

The DEC doesn't decide which towns have which ordinances...the towns decide and the DEC helps to enforce.  

Good luck this weekend!  Where will you be hunting? 

Legally they can't ticket it you because it isn't in the state regs. But they can ruin your day for sure and if anything happened it would be a big mess sorting it out.

I hunted with a warden for years in CP and carried a rifle. He always said he couldn't technically do anything but could make it a Hassel.

Legally they can't ticket it you because it isn't in the state regs. But they can ruin your day for sure and if anything happened it would be a big mess sorting it out.

I hunted with a warden for years in CP and carried a rifle. He always said he couldn't technically do anything but could make it a Hassel.

They do have the right to detain for it and call the local LEOs