Clean MISS

crappyice

Hunted Sat morning and had a doe walking around at first light about 75 yards away. She was joined by another and they both meandered well out of range. They worked around a hump and I thought they left. They ended up circling all the way around me until one finally presented a shot at what I thought was 20 yards (It was a new tree and I never paced off that shooting lane-please santa bring me a rangefinder!). Missed low (it was 27 yards after all) and what appeared to be a little back. After I replayed the scenario in my mind I realized that i forgot to stop her before I shot which is why I think I was back.  Its the first time I shot at a deer with my bow. Glad to have these mistakes on a doe that i totally missed. No blood, no foul...except for the ever-empty freezer!

Don't waist your money on a range finder,practice shooting from the height you were from a deck,garage roof anything at that height,always mark a distance you are comfortable shooting at.use a deer shaped target.And remember always clear your shooting lanes around your stand.Also deer like to jump the string. 

I agree practice on ranging with your eyes.You'd be surprised how accurate you can get with range. Plus it is good for confidence. I have a couple of rangefinders i like them for gun. But as far as my archery shots I'm good to 50 yds on visual ranging. You can range trees or markers while archery hunting and it will definitely be helpful. But I found very seldom did I or have I had time to range an animal while archery hunting. Don't like the extra movement. If he is in sight,I'm preparing for a shot.If its an animal I'm after.Not saying don't get one they will help you get good at judging range. And clean misses are not bad at all. Still sucks missing.But ya know that animal will be there next time.

I hear what you are saying about rangefinders. Its just that I often hunt state land and cannot always be assured about being in the tree I prepped during pre-season. As a result, I find myself in trees thta I have not marked off distances. Practicing from the height of  atreestand is extremely difficult from climbing stands working alone. I just figure a rangefinder will take some of the mystery away so I can concentrate on the actual shot placement and rythms of my shot procedure.

Practice estimating distance in 10 yard increments and you can come pretty close .

Pace off a 10 yard distance and remember how many steps it takes . When you figure out what tree you will be in , pace off the distance to a couple of other trees , etc for reference . When a deer shows up , it will give you a general idea of how far it is .......

If you go the Rangefinder route , remember , it's the horizontal distance that counts .