Nocturnal

Doc

You cant be serious. You actually believe that the only deer that have been getting shot have been pushed? Big deer were moving and were taken. I can PM you a couple of pics to prove it, and none of them were being pushed. Im not posting them in the public forum.

As far as the moon theories go, science has already put the facts out there, and they dont line up with the hocus pocus moon theories. Just read up on the past and currently ongoing GPS tracking studies.

Warm weather will get them to lay up more because of their winter coats, but they do have to move through the day. They have to eat, drink, etc no matter how warm it is. Get in close to the bedding and youll still see them. Spend a warm or windy day on the edge of an open field, and you probably wont see much. My hunting partner and I killed this buck Monday, in the wind and semi warm temps.

4192EAF9-AA92-4679-AB3B-FFC322063EFC-287

How? Still hunting. Shot him right in his bed, he never had a chance to get up. You just have to adjust to the conditions. This deer had been seen on his feet, during daylight hours, without being pushed, every single day last week. I passed probably 15 or more deer over the weekend, all on their feet during legal hours, only 2 being pushed.

In the minority.  Go ahead a take a survey of ALL deer shot on opening weekend and let me know how many were shot in the middle of the day (which is what this post turned into) that were either A) still hunted or B  ) pushed and on the move when shot.

Also, back to the same thing I have typed now for the 3rd time, a majority of hunters are opening week folk.  The smart hunters on here who work hard all season to be in the right place at the righ time are definitely in the minority.  Go survey your AVERAGE hunter and see 1) how many hours they hunt the whole season 2) how many deer they have shot still hunting 3) how many big deer (over 130") they have even seen in their life 4) and how many of those were "peacefully meandoring through" versus running 100 mph.

Lastly, I didn't say anything about the moon phase playing an effect on deer behavior.  I just said with the full moon.  Meaning, it is incredibly bright at night making it easier for the deer to move.  It was damn near daylight opening day by me with the full moon and snow on the ground.

And btw, I am NOT disagreeing with you or anyone else on here.  You all have to read what I actually wrote instead of nitpicking it to death.  You are talking to an expert hunter like yourself.  I assure you I get it.  No matter what you say, you aren't going to convince me that deer activity during the day is exactly the same every day of every week of every year amongst every deer during every condition.  Conditions change and deer activity changes.  Not sure how you could argue that point.

Edited by beachpeaz

Deer see just fine in the dark, they dont need the full moon to move easier. I also never said it was the same every day, its not. What I am saying is that deer activity during the day has been happening the last few weeks. Moon or not, wind or not, etc. Again, I have trail cam pics to back it up. Does, Young bucks, mature bucks, etc. Their patterns simply change and youll find them in different areas than at other times of the year.

BTW, I wouldnt call myself an expert deer hunter. Im just shooting the breeze with you, not trying to argue or nit pick. Lots of good info going back and forth, I think.

• Like 1

Its all good!  I'm not mad.  lol.  simple differnce in opinion.  As I have LOTS of trail camera pics in my area and they are all at night.  I have hunted my #$# off the past few weeks between bow / gun and have seen nothing but immature deer while my top 5 hit list bucks haven't moved once during shooting hours.

We are good!  Happy hunting.

• Like 1

The buck in my profile picture was shot last year on the 5th day of the gun season. He

wasn't pushed by other hunters but was following a hot doe. It was 8:45 in the morning.

I knew he was in those woods somewhere as I had seen him three times in archery season.

He was definitely a shooter as he scored 142.

So far this gun season I have put in 25 hours and the biggest bucks I've seen so far are

6 points. I've been seeing them right at first light up to about 9 a.m. and again right

at the last minutes of light in the evening. None of them seem to be pushed by

anyone as they are just walking slowly by.

It's true that you can't get them by sitting on the couch so I spend every possible

minute I can out in the woods. Hopefully I will see a shooter soon! :)

Good Luck Everyone!!!!

• Like 1

Perspective is always an issue. 

If I see deer on my property all day and someone say they are not moving I will say they are wrong...   Food, hunters, prey, moon, weather can all effect deer movement.  How that will effect the deer in your area will not be the same as LI and LI will not be the same as Western NY and Western NY will not be the same as Northern ADK. I have patterns and rutting behavior that is vastly differant from one town to another.  (I think one hot doe can change everything!)

One thing is for certian, they can change any time and unpredictablitly is one factor that makes hunting so interesting!!!  If they did the same thing every day it would not be much of a hunt!  Hope you can figure out and pattern your deer like WNYBuckHunter and his partner did, CONGRATS.  Great job!

Thanks NFA, now if I could just stop missing the big boys lol.

BTW, you can go to one side of the one farm I hunt and not see a damn thing this year, but about 300 yards away, its like deer city. Why? Food. The "dead" side was all planted in beans this year, which have been harvested and plowed under. There is a small oasis of activity there, which is a thick, traditional bedding area, but thats it. The acorns, hickory nuts, etc are gone over there and the deer have shifted to the other side, which is so full of standing corn, that many apples and nuts are laying on the ground, untouched.

Next year, because of crop rotation, it will be the other way around.