Good Opening Weekend

ItalianHunter5

We had a really good Opening Weekend this year. Opening Day, I took a big spike and my Uncle took a very weird looking 5 pointer. Yesterday (Sunday) my Grandfather showed he can still shoot and took down a spike. Now this is the real question. This is only my second deer in my 4th year, my first was an 8 pointer that I had mounted. What I would like to do from here on in is put the antlers of my deer on one of those wooden plaques with the velvet skull cover. I think this would be pretty cool, rather than just having a whole bunch of antlers laying around the garage. Does anyone know what the process is to prepare the skull cut antlers to put on the plaque? We get the deer back from the butcher on Thursday.

Please double check my info but I am in the process myself. First boil at low simmer until you can remove the hair with a knife. I advise outside if possible on bar b q or camp stove cause it does smell. Next soak in bleach or hydrogen peroxide. First one I used bleach, this time I went with peroxide, regular store bought stuff for six hours. Then rinse off and check all material is gone except bone. If not may need more time in soak. Be careful with bleach to only soak skull cap as it will bleach antlers white if contact occurs. Same but less severe with peroxide. Allow to dry completely and mount. Be careful first time for a small deer I got a decent plaque. This time I ordered from cabelas a larger size and they sent plastic crap which I will be sending back. I got a nice wood plaque off the net and will use that. Good luck.

Please double check my info but I am in the process myself. First boil at low simmer until you can remove the hair with a knife. I advise outside if possible on bar b q or camp stove cause it does smell. Next soak in bleach or hydrogen peroxide. First one I used bleach, this time I went with peroxide, regular store bought stuff for six hours. Then rinse off and check all material is gone except bone. If not may need more time in soak. Be careful with bleach to only soak skull cap as it will bleach antlers white if contact occurs. Same but less severe with peroxide. Allow to dry completely and mount. Be careful first time for a small deer I got a decent plaque. This time I ordered from cabelas a larger size and they sent plastic crap which I will be sending back. I got a nice wood plaque off the net and will use that. Good luck.

Don't ever use bleach though, too harsh and will actually start to break down the bone n make the skull brittle... Just boil, let dry, then paint on 40 percent peroxide from local beauty supply once, let dry (in the sun preferably) and the a second application of peroxide depending on how white u like it ....