Wind survival. Deer and humans.

DanceswithSkunks

At some time or another we've all endured a day afield under windy conditions. Deer and other game don't like high winds anymore than we do. Deer will seek out areas with little or low wind velocities and hunker down till it subsides. Softwoods, ie pines, swamps, laurels and the lee side of a hill or ridge all come to mind. We can go to these places and setup a stand or still hunt through these areas. However, sooner or later the need to feed comes in to play. When it's unseasonably cold and/or windy my hunting buddies and I refer to what the deer will be doing feed wise as "Power Packing" This is when deer basically leave the sheltered areas and head for the nearest standing or cut unplowed cornfield. Corn is high in carbohydrates and is the fuel that mammals use to power their bodies. Carbohydrates are converted to sugars but that is another subject. Many a deer we've taken on cold mornings following brutally cold night had theirs stomachs packed full of corn. We always inspect a deer's stomach contents while field dressing to see what they've been eating. I've done this starting with my first deer, which was an unintentional inspection at the time  :fie:

What can we do as hunters to prepare us for these same weather conditions? Carbohydrates. It's been a long tradition with my family to have a pre gun season dinner of spaghetti and meatballs with pasta piled high and fresh baked bread. Being diabetic now a dinner like that would have me in near coma conditions. Carbohydrates are converted to sugars and the time required for this process depends on the individual and type of carbohydrates consumed. A glass of orange juice will take 10 to 15 minutes. A piece of chocolate will take longer to process the carbs because your body will metabolize the chocolate first. A big pile of pasta will have you fueled up in 4 hours and keep you going for a good 12 - 16 hours. Taking snacks with you should be more than grabbing stuff at the mini mart on the way to your spot. Crackers Cheez It Lance cheese crackers with peanut butter filling come to mind along with a trail mix. I've found trail mix's have way too much salt and usually require a quart of water as a chaser. Sandwiches with an extra slice or three of cheese work well also.

Now that we got good stuff on the inside let's discuss the outside. Why do we get cold in the wind? Wind chill. Wind chill is evaporitive cooling. You skin is moist and wind coming in contact with it removes the moisture along with the heat. That's why we sweat when are body get's heated. It's a basic anatomical function. No way we can stop it but we can control it. When I was in the service I undertook cold weather survival at Ft Drum. The instructor beat in to our heads one thing a dozen times a day. If you get wet, you're dead. Hiking in to your spot when it's cold dress light. I see many a hunter huffing and puffing along a trail with their parkas wide open and wiping sweat from their face. They're done hunting before they've even started if it's a cold and or windy day. Unless it's in single digits, I wear a pair of sweatpants, no insulated underwear, a T-shirt and my outer parka. The rest is in my pack. I change into my hunting garb at my spot. I also change socks. Your feet will sweat whether you realize it or not. Take your boots and socks off let your feet air dry put on fresh dry socks and your boots. Make sure you put them stinky socks and T-shirt in a Zip Loc bag.

Outwear. I use two different outer garments depending on the weather. The first one is a parka made by Marc Bardger designer of Predator Camoflague It uses an outer material of Wolfskin. and is lined with Thinsulate.

http://www.graywolfwoolens.com/store/pages.php?pageid=3

The second set is a GI surplus ECWS parka and pants. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USGI-ECWCS-WOOD-LAND-CAMOUFLAGE-CHEM-PROTECTION-PARKA-MEDIUM-REGULAR-/141125890837

The ECWS is by no means a quiet outfit but it will keep you warm and dry in the worst of conditions.

A quick and dirty trick that I have used is to put a rainsuit, the cheapo viinyl sets, on just under neath your outer wear. This works if your stationary and really blocks the wind. Don't go walking around with this on. You'll sweat in no time and then freeze. "You get wet you're dead"

• Like 3

Good post!!! i was questioning wearing a cheapo vinyl jacket under my outer jacket while i am sitting... i think i might try it... normaly when i walk in im wearing 2 tshirts (one long sleeve and sometimes a jacket) w bib overals (in cold weather, in warm weather i just wear camo jeans) but that is max also i totaly LOVE the military surplus brown polypro long underwear!!! and toe warmers inside my mucks w wool socks keep my feet toasty also

Edited by josephmrtn

spent my first time out in the woods in like 20 degree weather. suited up from head to toe on my way in cause when I was dressing at my car I was freezing my bunns off.

walked for about a half hour to my stand and was sweating up a storm. sat for a bit and I was fine. then after maybe an hour I was freezing my bunns off once again.

good thing I brought a change of cloths. switched my shirt out on the stand and I was good.

WONT be makin that mistake again

Those surplus brown long johns work great. Polypropylene wicks moisture away from the skin but you need the next layer above it loose. It needs to have air space for it to work or it's no better than cotton which acts like a sponge. I can't wear polypropylene next to my skin. Stuff drives me nuts and after one day in it I get a bad rash. I use cotton and keep it dry or change it.

When you start out for your spot dress very light. It's normal to be cold. Start your walk in with a brisk pace. After 100 yards you'll be warm then throttle back and cruise your way in. If you start to get heated stop slow down. A regular ball cap is good for the walk in.  A wool watch cap or balcava while on stand is the way to go. I have a wool balcava that extends down under my collar and covers the top of my chest and shoulders just like the double cape on my Woolrich parka.

Edited by DanceswithSkunks

• 2 weeks later...

Many years ago there was a group of old timers that sat all day every day during the gun season in December. They all had folding wooden stools, A GI surplus wool blanket and a heavy galvanized bucket filled with coal or charcoal.  They would get to their spot setup the stool, light the bucket of coal place it between their legs and then drape the wool blanket over their legs trapping the hot air made by the coal bucket underneath them. I tried this a few times and had to open up the wool blanket every 30 minutes to cool down. Damn bucket of coal nearly cooked me alive. I was younger then and may have not needed that extreme method to keep warm. I'm much older now about the same age as those old timers were, going to give it a try one day.

• Like 1