Random question

Woodjr55

The tag is filled out immediately when the deer is dead. Anything else is illegal.

So if I made a bad shot like most seem to do on here and it ran off, do I fill my tag? Wouldn't I have to track it first? But it's the last day, and I shot 30 seconds of legal light and afraid of the dark, can't I track the next day?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Say Sunday you shoot a deer cannot find leave it over night but you find it Monday can you use you regular season tag or you late season?

Even though you recovered the deer the next day, you took the deer during regular season.  You use your regular season tag.  Along the same lines as you shoot on the last day of late season and make the recovery the next day when season is technically done.  You can still legally tag the deer upon recovery because your harvest was when you shot it during a legal season.  Although it may not be a bad idea to let the local DEC Officer know you are recovering a deer shot the day before to avoid confusion.

Since Shawn only makes head shots I don't even see why he's participating in this convo... :spiteful: The answer to this is the common sense one. You use the tag you intended on. The game warden is smart enough to know you are telling the truth by simply taking the harvested animals temp to get a rough estimate of time of kill if he suspected foul play.  Bonus points for a creative question!

So if I made a bad shot like most seem to do on here and it ran off, do I fill my tag? Wouldn't I have to track it first? But it's the last day, and I shot 30 seconds of legal light and afraid of the dark, can't I track the next day?

I'll repeat myself.  once the deer is DEAD, the tag must be filled out. 

You use the tag you intended on. 

BINGO!

Although this rule could be tinkered with such as in the scenario that shawn described, but it could lead to an open shut and case when/if an ECO removes a rifle/shotgun bullet from the animal. It's not worth it and it would be quite greedy.

I'll repeat myself.  once the deer is DEAD, the tag must be filled out. 

yes, once it is confirmed. 

I'll recap shawns scenario in which he said the shot was taken @ 30 seconds before sundown and backed out for fear of the dark. Now that deer is not confirmed dead til the next day which is now Muzz season.

The tag is filled out immediately when the deer is dead.  Anything else is illegal.

Lol .... Nope. The tag is filled out immediately when the animal is reduced to your possession ..... Hands-on. You do not fill out the tag because you are pretty sure the animal is dead somewhere. Just a picky point of clarity.

• Like 3

Exactly, how else do you know it's dead ?????????????

Lol .... Nope. The tag is filled out immediately when the animal is reduced to your possession ..... Hands-on. You do not fill out the tag because you are pretty sure the animal is dead somewhere. Just a picky point of clarity.