Ohio boy could use some NY hunters help!

BuckeyeBowhunter

RE: Posted this in Bow hunting forum but Hopefully General will get more even more info. 

First post and I have some questions. I am from Ohio and love hunting those big ole corn bred deer, but I may be spending the next two seasons in New York for Graduate school in Buffalo. I love bow hunting with a passion and do not want to take a break from it, even with the stress of grad school. I will be living in Buffalo and want to know: 1) Is there public land near Buffalo that I can hunt that the orange army does not ruin? 2) What the heck do I need to be a legal hunter in that region of New York (license, permits, tags, etc.)? Are private land owners supporting of deer control (In Ohio the farmers love us and all you gotta do is ask and they will usually let you hunt)?

I have been looking into Allegheny State Park and like the roughneck idea of a backwoods DIY. Is there good hunting there? Can i pitch a tent for long weekend hunts? How likely is your chances of getting a permit to bow hunt there?

Any information will be more than helpful! thanks for your time.

There is the Alabama swamps near buffalo it's about 35 minutes away. Not too many bow hunt that area. Also there is darian lake state park that's about 40 minutes away. I've never bow hunted that before. As for tags you need to purchase a license idk the cost but your bow tag will have a buck tag and a either sex tag. You bow tag can be used anywhere in the state where you can legally hunt. Also you can get dmp tags those are area specific. Land owners can be hit or miss. Start early to get permission to hunt

On the positive side, you qualify for NY "Resident" status being a fulltime student. The Ohio license &/or hunter safety/bow courses might be acceeptable in NY.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/6094.html

Some are going to disagree, but hunting state or public lands in NY is a less than desireable option. Getting permission to hunt private lands in NYS is more difficult that what you mentioned for Ohio. You could spend several years finding the right spot in a public area or getting permission to hunt private lands. If you look at the "big picture", two years isn't a long time and the best option might be to make the hunting trips back home...?

Another long shot option, might be a "swap hunt". Sure there are a lot of hunters on this forum that would like to hunt Ohio. You could possibly get permission to hunt in western NY with someone in trade for semi-guided hunts in your home state. Worth a try!!??!!

BTW - Good luck with your Graduate studies!!

I live in central Ohio but go to college in NW Ohio. So I do all my hunting in NW Ohio (Tiffin area). Lots of agriculture and big deer. 

Let's connect at some point. I'm always interested in Ohio hunting.

NW Ohio is a bit tougher reputation wise than other parts of the state. Central Ohio is nice. Most of my hunting is central and north central.

I'm located in Rochester but have some access between the two cities.

There is some great deer hunting in NY, but its not in large, on caliber with quality Ohio ground. Some public land can be great, I won't discount that at all. But, again, private land is often better, but much more difficult to obtain access to.

Edited by phade