Good Deer Season - What does that mean

Doc

You know what would be a perfect hunt? Go out and cut something like a hickory stave. Let it season for a year. Get out your best whittling knife and make a longbow. Make your own arrows. Oh, maybe to give yourself a fighting chance, a few purchased cedar shafts might be acceptable....lol..... or not. Knapp you own stone broadheads and then go out and get a deer (any deer) with your own home-made archery equipment. Man what an accomplishment that would be.

My introduction to hunting occurred in almost that same way when I was about 11 years old. Well, it wasn't deer .... lol. But it was pigeons in the barn that I killed with my trusty self-made longbow and fletchless willow arrows. I always had an idea of doing it in a little grander fashion and taking a deer with self-made archery equipment. Never did it, but it sure is a neat idea.

Now that would be a perfect deer season.

I'm working on that as you speak... self made bow and arrows... gets me to a whole knew level of excitementabout hunting.. took my biggest muzzleloader buck ever this year tracking with my T/C Hawken loaded with patch and roundball... my favorite hunt ever as well.. just wouldn't have been the same for me with rifle or shotgun... even the 2 1/2 hour drag by myself didn't take away from the accomplishment and satisfaction I got from the challenge of using traditional equipment. The only thing I can imagine better is what you described.

I'm working on that as you speak... self made bow and arrows... gets me to a whole knew level of excitementabout hunting.. took my biggest muzzleloader buck ever this year tracking with my T/C Hawken loaded with patch and roundball... my favorite hunt ever as well.. just wouldn't have been the same for me with rifle or shotgun... even the 2 1/2 hour drag by myself didn't take away from the accomplishment and satisfaction I got from the challenge of using traditional equipment. The only thing I can imagine better is what you described.

Hey, keep us updated on your progress. I think that would be great! You should document the whole procedure all the way through to a successful kill. What  a great magazine article that would make.

A good season for me is when I have the time to spend in the woods with my family and friends. I always hope for good weather, good health and the time to just get away and be in the woods.

It is a bonus when we can harvest and butcher any deer we take; I long for the fall every year starting about January and dream of trips to camp, wood fires, bacon cooking at 5:00 am and the laughter that comes at night while being together.

All that makes a "good season"......

Happy holidays all !!!

Hey, keep us updated on your progress. I think that would be great! You should document the whole procedure all the way through to a successful kill. What  a great magazine article that would make.

My good friend Dave just finished his self made longbow... he talked me into doing one... we already make the arrows... its a long process.. probably even longer for me with my limited free time... most of the work is done with a draw knife, rasp and sandpaper..but Dave is preparing to start building bows as a hobby  so he'll have a nice little setup where I can go to work on mine. Honestly never thought of documenting it from the start of the bow, but that is a great idea. Maybe even film it.