Duck Opener 2022

virgil

I certainly am hunting....Going to be pass shooting on a small local river...Mostly woodies, but enough mallards and the occasional black to keep things interesting.....FWIW, this is the same river I did my first duck hunt in 1964....I remember the limit was 3 ducks at the time...I managed to kill two woodies after a bunch of shots and learned that you had to get 

WAAAY  out ahead of them compared to a crow or a grouse, which I had the most experience on....

I was shooting my first repeating shotgun, a Remington 11-48 in 16 gauge with high brass # 5 loads...I had bought it in 1963  for $85 used...

• Like 4

Going out and hunting a small beaver pond for wood ducks and mallards. I’m only going to use 6 decoys. In November before the first split closes, I’m going to try Keeney swamp or Allen Lake. I hunted Keeney years ago before the water control structure was put in now it’s full of guys on opening day.

29 minutes ago, Larry said:

Going out and hunting a small beaver pond for wood ducks and mallards. I’m only going to use 6 decoys. In November before the first split closes, I’m going to try Keeney swamp or Allen Lake. I hunted Keeney years ago before the water control structure was put in now it’s full of guys on opening day.

Six decoys are all you need if they are in the right spot...Good luck, Partner  !!....

• Like 1

We'll be on a small creek in Otsego County in the morning waiting on the woodies.  Good luck everyone.  I'm heading upstate in about an hour- have to get through the city early to avoid Yankees traffic

Edited by virgil