Feed this trophy buck?

mike rossi

Note: Big rack, summer , green grass, abundant natural food, not a lactating female, eating out of a feeder which supplements natural food.

Also note the bucks rib cage is showing?

What is the "common sense" explanation for this? According to the Minnesota Deer hunters Association and many people on this board, CWD, EHD, and Lactic Acidosis are all some left wing conspiracy engineered by Cuomo, Obama, Nancy Pelosi, and Hillary Clinton - so we forget about Bengazzi ya know... . The MDHA even got their elected officials to force the DNR to feed deer, that just proves they know what they are talking about, them boys must got the facts straight and needed to set their DNR straight about them facts you know....

So what is the management prescription based on this bucks body condition? Do ya suppose they need to use a different kind of feed? Maybe the coyotes keep runnin em around so much the are a lossen the pounds... Maybe a year round yote season with a bounty?

Edited by mike rossi

Fsw- not EHD. Deer die in a matter of hours from EHD, so they never get a chance to lose weight. This buck is going to die no matter what you do. There is no reason for him to be that poor other than sickness or injury.

Your full of Bull, EHD  is a virus and in some forms it can be "chronic" ... It has an incubation period like any other virus...

Clinical Signs of EHD:

Deer may become infected with peracute, acute, or chronic EHD infections. Deer can develop clinical signs in as little as 7 days after exposure and this is most constantly characterized by sudden onset of the disease. In general, deer infected with EHD lose their appetite, lose their fear of people, grow weak, show excessive salivation, develop a rapid pulse, have a rapid respiration rate, show signs of a fever which include lying in bodies of water to reduce their body temperature, become unconscious, and have a blue tongue from the lack of oxygen in the blood (Howarth et al. 2001). Swelling of the head and neck can also be seen when observing deer with EHD. One of the most common characteristics of deer with the chronic form of EHD is the sloughing or breaking of the hooves caused by growth interruptions. Deer with chronic EHD often become lame due to these hoof problems (CFSPH 2006). Although they are ill for several weeks, they can eventually recover. Deer with the peracute form of the disease may go into shock 8–36 hours after the onset of symptoms, and are found lying dead (Howarth et al. 2001). Death is also common in deer with acute EHD, which is generally comparable to peracute EHD and is characterized by excessive salivation, nasal discharge, and hemorrhaging of the skin(CFSPH 1996). Cattle that develop EHD typically have subclinical signs. These infections are less severe than the infections in deer, but they may still exhibit fever, oral ulcers, excessive salivation, lameness, and coronitis (inflammation of the coronary band in hoofed animal). Sheep rarely develop clinical signs, and experimentally infected goats have never been shown to exhibit any signs of EHD(CFSPH 2006). Typically, EHD doesn’t kill livestock, but it may affect the production industry negatively because of affects from the disease such as cattle weight loss and lameness. This is a main reason livestock owners and farm owners need to be aware of EHD

Your full of Bull, EHD  is a virus and in some forms it can be "chronic" ... It has an incubation period like any other virus...

Clinical Signs of EHD:

Deer may become infected with peracute, acute, or chronic EHD infections. Deer can develop clinical signs in as little as 7 days after exposure and this is most constantly characterized by sudden onset of the disease. In general, deer infected with EHD lose their appetite, lose their fear of people, grow weak, show excessive salivation, develop a rapid pulse, have a rapid respiration rate, show signs of a fever which include lying in bodies of water to reduce their body temperature, become unconscious, and have a blue tongue from the lack of oxygen in the blood (Howarth et al. 2001). Swelling of the head and neck can also be seen when observing deer with EHD. One of the most common characteristics of deer with the chronic form of EHD is the sloughing or breaking of the hooves caused by growth interruptions. Deer with chronic EHD often become lame due to these hoof problems (CFSPH 2006). Although they are ill for several weeks, they can eventually recover. Deer with the peracute form of the disease may go into shock 8–36 hours after the onset of symptoms, and are found lying dead (Howarth et al. 2001). Death is also common in deer with acute EHD, which is generally comparable to peracute EHD and is characterized by excessive salivation, nasal discharge, and hemorrhaging of the skin(CFSPH 1996). Cattle that develop EHD typically have subclinical signs. These infections are less severe than the infections in deer, but they may still exhibit fever, oral ulcers, excessive salivation, lameness, and coronitis (inflammation of the coronary band in hoofed animal). Sheep rarely develop clinical signs, and experimentally infected goats have never been shown to exhibit any signs of EHD(CFSPH 2006). Typically, EHD doesn’t kill livestock, but it may affect the production industry negatively because of affects from the disease such as cattle weight loss and lameness. This is a main reason livestock owners and farm owners need to be aware of EHD

Come on Mike- I'm a dairy farmer. I'm not full of bull but I have a few on the farm. I have 3800 head under my management and I've seen more sick animals than you will in your lifetime and I have a pretty good handle on matching symptoms to a disease... I may not he and EHD expert but the deer in the picture did not lose nearly all of his fat and muscle mass in a matter of days. If you look a little closer at the picture you will notice the buck's left hind foot is missing. Before you point to your "clinical signs of EHD" part about hooves sloughing off it is important to realize that when that happens it affects all of the feet. Also, the buck's foot is missing, which is a lot different than the hoof sloughing off. He was likely hit by a car or perhaps was caught in a trap. Not every sick deer has EHD or CWD.

• Like 1

Sam, There is a big difference between those with book smarts about farms and animals and those with everyday real world life smarts about farms and animals that deal with them everyday. As i'm sure you know

Really, 3800 head. Thats huge.

Edited by Four Season Whitetails

Sam, There is a big difference between those with book smarts about farms and animals and those with everyday real world life smarts about farms and animals that deal with them everyday. As i'm sure you know

Really, 3800 head. Thats huge.

You should see some of the green horn veterinarians that come to the farm...

We aren't even the big guys. There's a couple of farms nearby that are twice as big.

Come on Mike- I'm a dairy farmer. I'm not full of bull but I have a few on the farm. I have 3800 head under my management and I've seen more sick animals than you will in your lifetime and I have a pretty good handle on matching symptoms to a disease... I may not he and EHD expert but the deer in the picture did not lose nearly all of his fat and muscle mass in a matter of days. If you look a little closer at the picture you will notice the buck's left hind foot is missing. Before you point to your "clinical signs of EHD" part about hooves sloughing off it is important to realize that when that happens it affects all of the feet. Also, the buck's foot is missing, which is a lot different than the hoof sloughing off. He was likely hit by a car or perhaps was caught in a trap. Not every sick deer has EHD or CWD.

Your managing 3,800 head? How many milkers you got? How much hay per day? Whats your grazing space per animal? Lets see some pictures of your operation... How do you manage staff infections? How many square feet is your milking barn?

And you keep bulls in a herd of 3,800 instead of using A.I....  You even no what AI is? Sounds dangerous - and you must have more than a "few" bulls to service all them cows, what is a few? How many pounds a milk a day, didn't know we had anyone gracing this forum with that much income, you loaning any money?

Your a funny guy, thanks for the laugh...

And you keep bulls in a herd of 3,800 instead of using A.I....  You even no what AI is? Sounds dangerous - and you must have more than a "few" bulls to service all them cows, what is a few? How many pounds a milk a day, didn't know we had anyone gracing this forum with that much income, you loaning any money?

Taking the average cow produces between 5.5-8 gallons per day times by 8.6 pounds per gallon. So 3,800 (cows) x 6.5 (Gallons per day & A middle between the two) equals 24,700 gallons x 8.6 pounds per gallon equals 212,420 pounds per day. Not to mention that has to be one serious Concentrated Animal Feed Operation going on. I hope he takes good care of the daily waste of a facility of that size. 

Mike- I specialize in IVF and embryo transfer and breed the bulls that AI companies sell the semen from. I'm not sure what the relevance to this thread your questions have. I stated what I do to add credibility to my statements pertaining to the buck in the picture, nothing more. If you want me to answer your questions maybe you should start a separate thread called Dairy Farming 101 and I'll enlighten you when I get more time. As it is I flushed 4 donor cows this morning and have to transfer 29 embryos this afternoon. My assistant is stuck in Chicago as well, so I have to do my work and hers today.

Edited by sampotter
  • Like 1

Mike- I specialize in IVF and embryo transfer and breed the bulls that AI companies sell the semen from. I'm not sure what the relevance to this thread your questions have. I stated what I do to add credibility to my statements pertaining to the buck in the picture, nothing more. If you want me to answer your questions maybe you should start a separate thread called Dairy Farming 101 and I'll enlighten you when I get more time. As it is I flushed 4 donor cows this morning and have to transfer 29 embryos this afternoon. My assistant is stuck in Chicago as well, so I have to do my work and hers today.

I found you on linked in, I see that...

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/sam-potter/2a/463/728

Edited by mike rossi