Trail cam picture

stubby68

Last fall while out in the woods I spotted a big cat a few different times. The cat looked a little big for a bobcat. Looked more like a Lynx to me.I also found a live catch trap that shouldn't have been there because no one has permission to be there let alone trap there. I put a trail cam up hoping to get a picture of the person coming back for there trap. No trespassers but I did get this picture. I'm sorry the picturs is'nt very good I should have used my moultrie instead of the stealth cam.

The trap is 26 inches tall just to give some prospective. You can't see it good in the picture but I am pretty sure when I saw it that there was a collar on it. What is in the pic looks like the tufts of fur on it cheeks. I came across what I believe were it's tracks dureing hunting season they were about 3 1/2  maybe  4 inches across and the same long. Haven't seen any sign of it sense  hunting season so not sure it is still around. I was wondering what you guys thought about it being a lynx. I have seen a few Bobcats and this looks some what like a bobcat but taller,longer and the tufts of hair and ears look off a little.

post-5009-0-04617200-1396662693_thumb.jp

Looks like an average or below a average sized bobcat to me.

Lynx have huge paws and appear taller and bigger than bobcats but are smaller than a bobcat weight wise majority of the time. A good bobcat can go 40+lbs, a good lynx mid 20's. Here's a lynx for reference that was 25lbs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalkdepude6y.jpg

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld
  • Like 2

Can't speak to the weight but with the cage being 26 inches tall that puts the cat about 30 inches.I have never seen a bobcat more then a couple feet tall (22-24 Inches). I  cant say for sure that the cat in pic is same one i saw walking in the woods. You just never know unless you took the pic with hand neld cam. I did some researcs after seeing it and from picks and descriptions I came up with lynx. Like what I said what I saw looked like a bobcat but then again it didn't. It actually looked exactly like the one in you pic alot like it. Is that you holding it? Nice cat.

Mind you I am not saying my pic and what I saw were the same animal. I just thought the one in pic was a little tall for bobcat like the cat I saw . thanks

Too bad you didn't get a pic of the track. The lynx track and bobcat track are very different. A lynx feet are like boxing gloves so they lay down huge tracks compared to a bobcat. But you said 4", a cat track that size is way too big to be a bobcat. A 4" track is a really good sized mt lion. So what is really 4"? Was it spread out because of a mud or snow? I think most bobcat tracks are under 2". Even a young mt lion has a bigger track than a huge bobcat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Biz-R-OWorld

i dont see tufts of hair on the ears and as said before feet dont seem to be big enough, i would say bobcat.. like people some are tall and some are more squat.. but they are still just people..think nba player. and 5'6 tall guy....

When I tried to take picture with my phone but it didn't look like a track in the pic.It looked more like a depression in the snow , not alot of detail you could tell they were tracks. I used my back tag for measurement marked it with a pen for width and length then measured when I got back home . That why I said 3 1/2 half to maybe 4 inches  could have been off a little I know it was wider then my pack of  smokes in length and width, and that is 2 1/2 inches I now carry a hand held camera and tape measure  with me in the woods hoping to see it or the tracks again . It is a very pretty animal and as far as I know we don't have lynx in ny just didn't look like bobcat. Quite sure it wasn't a mt lion though. I appreciate your in put thanx

G-Man I understant what you are saying about diff size yet same animal. The tufts of hair are around its head kind of on it cheeks. I didn't mean on it's ears I ment the ears looked funny compared to bobcat.Sorry I confused that. Picture could very well be bobcat just wish I could see it again and get good pic.Now I sound like those people who say They saw and got bad pic of bigfoot and try to convince you thats what is is. What I saw live didn't look like bobcat and wasn't sure of pic as it isn't a good one. I like the input and I'm now thinking the cat in pic could be a big bobcat .thanx