Adjoining Bedding & Feeding = Tough Hunting!

Cabin Fever

A problem of mine is I have thickets that are butted practically right up to orchards and cornfields. The deer don't have to travel far between bedding and feeding, so there's little to no opportunity to catch them in between. They can stick their head out of the thicket and be in an orchard or cornfiled. Now, couple that with 13-14hrs of darkness everyday, they really don't need to move much during daylight hours anyway. THEN, once the guns start going off and pressure is on, it makes it even tougher!

Some of my stands are inside the thickets 50-80 yards, as to not be intrusive to the bedding areas, but enough to hopefully catch them browing their way towards the crops. I don't want to push it much more and disturb the bedding area, causing them to vacate.

Sure makes for some tough and frustrating hunting!!

well you might need a trail and a stand right in the heart of it. During a full moon like we are going to have their night time feeding activity should be high, especially if there is no cloud cover. A very early morning sneak into the heart of their bedding just might put you there for their trip back in. my 2 cents

I would probably avoid the hacking part...lol...maybe a well worn deer trail...anything that let's you slide in but you may have to be VERY early. I use to have access to a spot lik that and hunted it off the ground...kept the wind in mind and sat right on the ground all day. paid off with a few small bucks. It was in my "it has horns...it goes down" days so I never got a chance to see if it held a monster but it sure looked like it could. The first 25 yards in was basically on my hands and knees. slide in with the wind in your face and see what happens...worse thing that happens is it ends up being a scouting operation. :P

Yeah, I'm not going to even attempt to get in there any deeper than I already am. There is no stealth mode as thick as that whole place is! I don't think there are any trees in there any larger than ~6" in diameter and visibility is nothing anyway. This is a bedding area (sanctuary) I don't want to disturb and run them out of. I'll just hope since they feel somewhat safe in there and when it gets cold enough their belly might get them up and moving a little earlier.