Need advice please.

34NY

This is my first year hunting. Ive done my scouting and located at least 2 males about 130-180 yards from where I'm going to setup. (Bow hunting from a blind) They're roosting along a creek and I believe they're coming right by me to hit a nearby field. Tomorrow I'm gonna sit out there as if I was hunting till probably 10-11am. Here's my question. If they don't come by me should I go to where I think they are roosted and look for proof they're roosted there? or just leave em be? If I should go look for proof should I do it in the afternoon or mid-morning? Not sure if this matters but this flock has been spotted all April. 25+ birds, the area has never been hunted, ever.

i wouldnt call at all or go near where they are roosting if your sure they are roosting there.... i would observe from long range...turkeys do not like being disturbed and will leave an area if bumped .. try glassing the area you want to set up from 100yards away.. unless your on private property chances are someone else knows they are roosting there as well.. have a plan b. if someone gets in close to them and bumps them be prepared to perhaps hunt them in the field with them coming in quiet.

if you want proof of roost area listen in the am for gobbling or use a locater call (owl hooter) or a walk thru the area looking for a tom's j shaped droppings under trees, scratching and drag (strut marks)

Edited by G-Man

Yea its private property. I'm almost certain they're roosted there. I'm glad I asked, I didn't know they could be bumped out of the area. I'm just gonna hit the owl call, shut up and observe for the morning.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk

If you have located them on the roost...If it is a flock of toms & hens as you mentioned.....If you haven't bumped them..!

Do a search for How-to; tree yelps, fly-down calls and calling in hens. If you can't set-up in their usual travel route, sometimes you can divert them by calling the hens in. It's a given this time of year, where the girls go, the boys are sure to follow! Not sure the name for the behavoir, but hens seem to have a desire to join up with other hens. Flock instinct..!?! If you can pull this off, it is heart pounding with all the eyes sizing up the area (blind). Draw you own conclusions from that!

Good luck!

BTW - No offense to the newbie OP, could a moderator put this in the turkey hunting category.

Edited by nyslowhand